George Clooney Fights Back Against False Claims about Amal Alamuddin's Mom Opposing their Marriage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 5:08 PM EST
Many speculations have been going around about the impending nuptials of perennial-bachelor-no-more George Clooney and his fiancée, British Lawyer Amal Alamuddin. While Hollywood stars are used to gossip surrounding their lives, Clooney has fought back against an article in the Daily Mail which caused the Web site to delete it after Clooney claimed that the false reports about Alamuddin's mother are potentially dangerous.
Director and actor George Clooney arrives at Omega's dinner party in Shanghai, May 16, 2014.
In the original article by the Daily Mail which appeared last Monday and has subsequently been deleted, claims were made that Amal Alamuddin's mother is against the union due to religious reasons. Clooney did not take this sitting down and released a statement via USA today refuting the claims.
"It says Amal's mother has been telling 'half of Beirut' that she's against the wedding. It says they joke about traditions in the Druze religion that end up with the death of the bride," repeated George, emphasizing parts of the report that he says are fabricated.
Clooney, a Hollywood A-lister is used to being all over the news and has certainly read many false claims about himself. This time however, with other people in his family involved, he took action and decided to speak up because of the potential danger involved.
"I seldom respond to tabloids, unless it involves someone else and their safety or well being," said Clooney in his statement.
"I'm, of course, used to the Daily Mail making up stories - they do it several times a week - and I don't care," Clooney continued, adding, "But this lie involves larger issues. The irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious differences where none exist, is at the very least negligent and more appropriately dangerous."
In Clooney's statement, he also refuted claims that his bride is already pregnant.
Meanwhile, as this was all happening, Amal's mom, Baria Alamuddin has been spotted with George's own mom shopping like BFF's near Lake Como in Italy where Clooney owns a Villa. Photos of the soon to be in-laws were posted on E! Online.
Reports have come out that the wedding will be taking place in the area and the ceremony is slated for Sept. this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal