George Clooney Fights Back Against False Claims about Amal Alamuddin's Mom Opposing their Marriage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 5:08 PM EST
Many speculations have been going around about the impending nuptials of perennial-bachelor-no-more George Clooney and his fiancée, British Lawyer Amal Alamuddin. While Hollywood stars are used to gossip surrounding their lives, Clooney has fought back against an article in the Daily Mail which caused the Web site to delete it after Clooney claimed that the false reports about Alamuddin's mother are potentially dangerous.
Director and actor George Clooney arrives at Omega's dinner party in Shanghai, May 16, 2014.
In the original article by the Daily Mail which appeared last Monday and has subsequently been deleted, claims were made that Amal Alamuddin's mother is against the union due to religious reasons. Clooney did not take this sitting down and released a statement via USA today refuting the claims.
"It says Amal's mother has been telling 'half of Beirut' that she's against the wedding. It says they joke about traditions in the Druze religion that end up with the death of the bride," repeated George, emphasizing parts of the report that he says are fabricated.
Clooney, a Hollywood A-lister is used to being all over the news and has certainly read many false claims about himself. This time however, with other people in his family involved, he took action and decided to speak up because of the potential danger involved.
"I seldom respond to tabloids, unless it involves someone else and their safety or well being," said Clooney in his statement.
"I'm, of course, used to the Daily Mail making up stories - they do it several times a week - and I don't care," Clooney continued, adding, "But this lie involves larger issues. The irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious differences where none exist, is at the very least negligent and more appropriately dangerous."
In Clooney's statement, he also refuted claims that his bride is already pregnant.
Meanwhile, as this was all happening, Amal's mom, Baria Alamuddin has been spotted with George's own mom shopping like BFF's near Lake Como in Italy where Clooney owns a Villa. Photos of the soon to be in-laws were posted on E! Online.
Reports have come out that the wedding will be taking place in the area and the ceremony is slated for Sept. this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date