George Clooney Fights Back Against False Claims about Amal Alamuddin's Mom Opposing their Marriage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 5:08 PM EST
Many speculations have been going around about the impending nuptials of perennial-bachelor-no-more George Clooney and his fiancée, British Lawyer Amal Alamuddin. While Hollywood stars are used to gossip surrounding their lives, Clooney has fought back against an article in the Daily Mail which caused the Web site to delete it after Clooney claimed that the false reports about Alamuddin's mother are potentially dangerous.
Director and actor George Clooney arrives at Omega's dinner party in Shanghai, May 16, 2014.
In the original article by the Daily Mail which appeared last Monday and has subsequently been deleted, claims were made that Amal Alamuddin's mother is against the union due to religious reasons. Clooney did not take this sitting down and released a statement via USA today refuting the claims.
"It says Amal's mother has been telling 'half of Beirut' that she's against the wedding. It says they joke about traditions in the Druze religion that end up with the death of the bride," repeated George, emphasizing parts of the report that he says are fabricated.
Clooney, a Hollywood A-lister is used to being all over the news and has certainly read many false claims about himself. This time however, with other people in his family involved, he took action and decided to speak up because of the potential danger involved.
"I seldom respond to tabloids, unless it involves someone else and their safety or well being," said Clooney in his statement.
"I'm, of course, used to the Daily Mail making up stories - they do it several times a week - and I don't care," Clooney continued, adding, "But this lie involves larger issues. The irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious differences where none exist, is at the very least negligent and more appropriately dangerous."
In Clooney's statement, he also refuted claims that his bride is already pregnant.
Meanwhile, as this was all happening, Amal's mom, Baria Alamuddin has been spotted with George's own mom shopping like BFF's near Lake Como in Italy where Clooney owns a Villa. Photos of the soon to be in-laws were posted on E! Online.
Reports have come out that the wedding will be taking place in the area and the ceremony is slated for Sept. this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon