Shailene Woodley and Theo James’ Allegiant to be Split in Two; Recruits The Maze Runner Writer Noah Oppenheim
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 11, 2014 5:07 PM EST
The third installment of the "Divergent" franchise, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, has reportedly recruited "The Maze Runner's" Noah Oppenheim as the new "Allegiant" screenwriter.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the experienced screenwriter of the young adult genre and Emmy-winning TV producer Noah Oppenheim is adapting Veronica Roth's third novel, "Allegiant," for film.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014.
Oppenheim's latest screenplay is Fox's "The Maze Runner," slated for a September 2014 release, a movie adaptation from a young adult post-apocalyptic novel by James Dashner, which gives the Harvard graduate writer and producer an edge and experience in the genre.
Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher of Red Wagon Entertainment and Pouya Shabazian are said to be producing all "Divergent" films.
And while Veronica Roth has been previously not too sure whether "Allegiant" is going to be split into two parts, THR confirmed that Noah Oppenheim has been signed to write the third film in the "Divergent" franchise, "Allegiant: Part 1."
Roth told moviepilot in a previous interview that if ever "Allegiant" gets to be split into two parts, "there's some natural breaking point" in the book that may be where "Allegiant: Part 1" is going to end, adding that she is excited to find out where exactly the story of the third film will stop.
Both "Allegiant" films are reportedly already scheduled for release. "Allegiant: Part 1" is set to hit theatres on March 16, 2016 and Part 2 hits the big screens on March 24, 2017.
"Because the films are scheduled just one year apart from each other, it makes sense that producers would want to get a writer working on Allegiant while Insurgent is still shooting," THR reported.
Stars of the "Divergent" franchise, Shailene Woodley and Theo James are both reprising their roles as Tris and Four, respectively, in the "Divergent" sequel "Insurgent." Other stars returning to reprise their roles are Ansel Elgort, Kate Winslet, Miles Teller, Jai Courtney and Zoe Kravitz.
Previously announced new additions to the "Insurgent" cast are Naomi Watts, Daniel Dae Kim, Suki Waterhouse, Olivia Spencer, Jonny Weston, Rosa Salazar and Australian actor Keiynan Lonsdale.
The Robert Schwentke film "Insurgent," which is reportedly now filming in Atlanta, is set to hit theatres on March 20, 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2