Shailene Woodley and Theo James’ Allegiant to be Split in Two; Recruits The Maze Runner Writer Noah Oppenheim
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 11, 2014 5:07 PM EST
The third installment of the "Divergent" franchise, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, has reportedly recruited "The Maze Runner's" Noah Oppenheim as the new "Allegiant" screenwriter.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the experienced screenwriter of the young adult genre and Emmy-winning TV producer Noah Oppenheim is adapting Veronica Roth's third novel, "Allegiant," for film.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014.
Oppenheim's latest screenplay is Fox's "The Maze Runner," slated for a September 2014 release, a movie adaptation from a young adult post-apocalyptic novel by James Dashner, which gives the Harvard graduate writer and producer an edge and experience in the genre.
Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher of Red Wagon Entertainment and Pouya Shabazian are said to be producing all "Divergent" films.
And while Veronica Roth has been previously not too sure whether "Allegiant" is going to be split into two parts, THR confirmed that Noah Oppenheim has been signed to write the third film in the "Divergent" franchise, "Allegiant: Part 1."
Roth told moviepilot in a previous interview that if ever "Allegiant" gets to be split into two parts, "there's some natural breaking point" in the book that may be where "Allegiant: Part 1" is going to end, adding that she is excited to find out where exactly the story of the third film will stop.
Both "Allegiant" films are reportedly already scheduled for release. "Allegiant: Part 1" is set to hit theatres on March 16, 2016 and Part 2 hits the big screens on March 24, 2017.
"Because the films are scheduled just one year apart from each other, it makes sense that producers would want to get a writer working on Allegiant while Insurgent is still shooting," THR reported.
Stars of the "Divergent" franchise, Shailene Woodley and Theo James are both reprising their roles as Tris and Four, respectively, in the "Divergent" sequel "Insurgent." Other stars returning to reprise their roles are Ansel Elgort, Kate Winslet, Miles Teller, Jai Courtney and Zoe Kravitz.
Previously announced new additions to the "Insurgent" cast are Naomi Watts, Daniel Dae Kim, Suki Waterhouse, Olivia Spencer, Jonny Weston, Rosa Salazar and Australian actor Keiynan Lonsdale.
The Robert Schwentke film "Insurgent," which is reportedly now filming in Atlanta, is set to hit theatres on March 20, 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown