Prince William Says Kate Middleton and Prince George Are His ‘Silver Lining’ After Princess Diana’s Death [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 11, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Prince William experienced tragedy at the age of 15 when his mum Princess Diana died. Years later, though, he was able to see the “silver lining” in the persons of his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
The Duke of Cambridge shared went personal at the Buckingham Palace on Wednesday as he spoke to a group of young leaders.
According to brothers Rob and Paul Forkan from London, William has a simple advice to youngster who suffered from the tragedy of losing their parents: “Dust yourself and carry on.”
The Forkan brothers, lost their parents in the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, were inspired to build orphanages in developing countries after their parents’ death. They were invited to the Palace, where the Queen’s Young Leaders Program, an award recognising the achievements of young leaders in the UK and the Commonwealth countries, was launched.
Like William, Rob and Paul were just teens at 17 and 15 respectively when their parents Kevin and Sandra passed away in Sri Lanka. They were with them during the disaster, though they were able to survive by clinging onto the roof a building.
“He said he lost his mum at 15 but there was always a silver lining and you should dust yourself off and carry on,” Rob revealed to the Telegraph what the second in line to the thrown had told them.
“He applauded what we ahd done and said keep up the good work. He’s got his own family now – that was his silver lining.”
His own family of course includes Kate, whom he married in 2011, and George, who is about to turn one year old on July 22.
Prince Harry, who not even 13 years old when Diana died from a car accident, was also at the event. He and his brother took part in a Google Hangout chat, appearing live via webcam from the Palace to talk to five young leaders in the Commonwealth countries, including Australia.
“Always believe in yourself and don’t give up on your quest,” William told his chatmates.
“Don’t give up, and if it’s a lack of confidence and belief then team up – there are people out there who share your passion,” Harry added.
Prince George Was a ‘Permanently Hungry’ Baby: The Future King’s First Year Report [READ]
Prince Harry Dances to Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’ During Chile Visit [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best