Prince William Says Kate Middleton and Prince George Are His ‘Silver Lining’ After Princess Diana’s Death [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 11, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Prince William experienced tragedy at the age of 15 when his mum Princess Diana died. Years later, though, he was able to see the “silver lining” in the persons of his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
The Duke of Cambridge shared went personal at the Buckingham Palace on Wednesday as he spoke to a group of young leaders.
According to brothers Rob and Paul Forkan from London, William has a simple advice to youngster who suffered from the tragedy of losing their parents: “Dust yourself and carry on.”
The Forkan brothers, lost their parents in the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, were inspired to build orphanages in developing countries after their parents’ death. They were invited to the Palace, where the Queen’s Young Leaders Program, an award recognising the achievements of young leaders in the UK and the Commonwealth countries, was launched.
Like William, Rob and Paul were just teens at 17 and 15 respectively when their parents Kevin and Sandra passed away in Sri Lanka. They were with them during the disaster, though they were able to survive by clinging onto the roof a building.
“He said he lost his mum at 15 but there was always a silver lining and you should dust yourself off and carry on,” Rob revealed to the Telegraph what the second in line to the thrown had told them.
“He applauded what we ahd done and said keep up the good work. He’s got his own family now – that was his silver lining.”
His own family of course includes Kate, whom he married in 2011, and George, who is about to turn one year old on July 22.
Prince Harry, who not even 13 years old when Diana died from a car accident, was also at the event. He and his brother took part in a Google Hangout chat, appearing live via webcam from the Palace to talk to five young leaders in the Commonwealth countries, including Australia.
“Always believe in yourself and don’t give up on your quest,” William told his chatmates.
“Don’t give up, and if it’s a lack of confidence and belief then team up – there are people out there who share your passion,” Harry added.
Prince George Was a ‘Permanently Hungry’ Baby: The Future King’s First Year Report [READ]
Prince Harry Dances to Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’ During Chile Visit [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales