Prince William Says Kate Middleton and Prince George Are His ‘Silver Lining’ After Princess Diana’s Death [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 11, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Prince William experienced tragedy at the age of 15 when his mum Princess Diana died. Years later, though, he was able to see the “silver lining” in the persons of his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
The Duke of Cambridge shared went personal at the Buckingham Palace on Wednesday as he spoke to a group of young leaders.
According to brothers Rob and Paul Forkan from London, William has a simple advice to youngster who suffered from the tragedy of losing their parents: “Dust yourself and carry on.”
The Forkan brothers, lost their parents in the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, were inspired to build orphanages in developing countries after their parents’ death. They were invited to the Palace, where the Queen’s Young Leaders Program, an award recognising the achievements of young leaders in the UK and the Commonwealth countries, was launched.
Like William, Rob and Paul were just teens at 17 and 15 respectively when their parents Kevin and Sandra passed away in Sri Lanka. They were with them during the disaster, though they were able to survive by clinging onto the roof a building.
“He said he lost his mum at 15 but there was always a silver lining and you should dust yourself off and carry on,” Rob revealed to the Telegraph what the second in line to the thrown had told them.
“He applauded what we ahd done and said keep up the good work. He’s got his own family now – that was his silver lining.”
His own family of course includes Kate, whom he married in 2011, and George, who is about to turn one year old on July 22.
Prince Harry, who not even 13 years old when Diana died from a car accident, was also at the event. He and his brother took part in a Google Hangout chat, appearing live via webcam from the Palace to talk to five young leaders in the Commonwealth countries, including Australia.
“Always believe in yourself and don’t give up on your quest,” William told his chatmates.
“Don’t give up, and if it’s a lack of confidence and belief then team up – there are people out there who share your passion,” Harry added.
Prince George Was a ‘Permanently Hungry’ Baby: The Future King’s First Year Report [READ]
Prince Harry Dances to Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’ During Chile Visit [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko