Justin Bieber Pleads No Contest to Vandalism Charge, Gets 12-Month Probation and Ordered to Pay Over $80 Thousand
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Troubled pop star and teen heartthrob Justin Bieber has pleaded no contest to charges made against him in relation to an egg-throwing vandalism case filed by a former neighbour. A Los Angeles court has ordered Selena Gomez' on-and-off beau to pay damages of $80,900 to the owners of the damaged mansion.
REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dep
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber is pictured in police custody in Miami Beach, Florida January 23, 2014 in this Miami Beach Police Department handout released to Reuters on March 4, 2014. Bieber was charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest and using an expired license after Miami Beach police say they caught him drag racing on January 23. Bieber pleaded not guilty to the charges. REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dept./Handout via Reuters
Bieber opted to cut a deal instead of contesting the charges and apart from the huge amount of money that he has to pay, the singer will need to complete 12 anger management sessions as well as perform 5 days of community service. The probationary period is expected to last for 12 months.
For the duration of his probation, Justin will need to inform his probation officer of his whereabouts most especially if he needs to travel abroad.
The damaged home is owned by Jeffrey Schwartz and Justin has also been ordered not to come within 100 yards of Schwartz and his family for two years. Schwartz claims that he spent a large amount of money to repair the damages caused by Justin's antics.
The case was initially recommended to be filed as a felony by the initial investigator from the county sheriff's office but has been downgraded into a misdemeanor by the Los Angeles County District Attorney.
Bieber's Attorney, Shawn Holley represented him at court to enter his plea and the pop star was not required to make an appearance.
While this case is not apparently behind him provided that he will comply with the payment and what is required of him during the probationary period, Bieber still needs a face a string of other troubles with the law including a case in Miami for driving under the influence and another case in Los Angeles in which Bieber was accused of trying to take away a woman's mobile device. During the investigation of the egging incident, Justin's home and one of his friends, a rapper called Lil Za, was arrested on a felony drug charge. He has since entered a similar plea deal and is under probation.
With Bieber's long list of run-ins with the law, he has enlisted the services of Holley who has handled other high profile celebrity cases most prominently the notorious Lindsey Lohan who has had more than her fair share of court appearances as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales