Justin Bieber Pleads No Contest to Vandalism Charge, Gets 12-Month Probation and Ordered to Pay Over $80 Thousand
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Troubled pop star and teen heartthrob Justin Bieber has pleaded no contest to charges made against him in relation to an egg-throwing vandalism case filed by a former neighbour. A Los Angeles court has ordered Selena Gomez' on-and-off beau to pay damages of $80,900 to the owners of the damaged mansion.
REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dep
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber is pictured in police custody in Miami Beach, Florida January 23, 2014 in this Miami Beach Police Department handout released to Reuters on March 4, 2014. Bieber was charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest and using an expired license after Miami Beach police say they caught him drag racing on January 23. Bieber pleaded not guilty to the charges. REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dept./Handout via Reuters
Bieber opted to cut a deal instead of contesting the charges and apart from the huge amount of money that he has to pay, the singer will need to complete 12 anger management sessions as well as perform 5 days of community service. The probationary period is expected to last for 12 months.
For the duration of his probation, Justin will need to inform his probation officer of his whereabouts most especially if he needs to travel abroad.
The damaged home is owned by Jeffrey Schwartz and Justin has also been ordered not to come within 100 yards of Schwartz and his family for two years. Schwartz claims that he spent a large amount of money to repair the damages caused by Justin's antics.
The case was initially recommended to be filed as a felony by the initial investigator from the county sheriff's office but has been downgraded into a misdemeanor by the Los Angeles County District Attorney.
Bieber's Attorney, Shawn Holley represented him at court to enter his plea and the pop star was not required to make an appearance.
While this case is not apparently behind him provided that he will comply with the payment and what is required of him during the probationary period, Bieber still needs a face a string of other troubles with the law including a case in Miami for driving under the influence and another case in Los Angeles in which Bieber was accused of trying to take away a woman's mobile device. During the investigation of the egging incident, Justin's home and one of his friends, a rapper called Lil Za, was arrested on a felony drug charge. He has since entered a similar plea deal and is under probation.
With Bieber's long list of run-ins with the law, he has enlisted the services of Holley who has handled other high profile celebrity cases most prominently the notorious Lindsey Lohan who has had more than her fair share of court appearances as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert