Justin Bieber Pleads No Contest to Vandalism Charge, Gets 12-Month Probation and Ordered to Pay Over $80 Thousand
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Troubled pop star and teen heartthrob Justin Bieber has pleaded no contest to charges made against him in relation to an egg-throwing vandalism case filed by a former neighbour. A Los Angeles court has ordered Selena Gomez' on-and-off beau to pay damages of $80,900 to the owners of the damaged mansion.
REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dep
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber is pictured in police custody in Miami Beach, Florida January 23, 2014 in this Miami Beach Police Department handout released to Reuters on March 4, 2014. Bieber was charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest and using an expired license after Miami Beach police say they caught him drag racing on January 23. Bieber pleaded not guilty to the charges. REUTERS/Miami Beach Police Dept./Handout via Reuters
Bieber opted to cut a deal instead of contesting the charges and apart from the huge amount of money that he has to pay, the singer will need to complete 12 anger management sessions as well as perform 5 days of community service. The probationary period is expected to last for 12 months.
For the duration of his probation, Justin will need to inform his probation officer of his whereabouts most especially if he needs to travel abroad.
The damaged home is owned by Jeffrey Schwartz and Justin has also been ordered not to come within 100 yards of Schwartz and his family for two years. Schwartz claims that he spent a large amount of money to repair the damages caused by Justin's antics.
The case was initially recommended to be filed as a felony by the initial investigator from the county sheriff's office but has been downgraded into a misdemeanor by the Los Angeles County District Attorney.
Bieber's Attorney, Shawn Holley represented him at court to enter his plea and the pop star was not required to make an appearance.
While this case is not apparently behind him provided that he will comply with the payment and what is required of him during the probationary period, Bieber still needs a face a string of other troubles with the law including a case in Miami for driving under the influence and another case in Los Angeles in which Bieber was accused of trying to take away a woman's mobile device. During the investigation of the egging incident, Justin's home and one of his friends, a rapper called Lil Za, was arrested on a felony drug charge. He has since entered a similar plea deal and is under probation.
With Bieber's long list of run-ins with the law, he has enlisted the services of Holley who has handled other high profile celebrity cases most prominently the notorious Lindsey Lohan who has had more than her fair share of court appearances as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories