Torture Test Shows LG G3 Can Survive Water Accidents [Watch Video]
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 11, 2014 4:33 PM EST
The LG G3 comes with high-end specifications, but it does not boast water or dust resistance as one of its features, unlike handsets of its rivals Samsung and Sony. However, a recently uploaded video has shown the LG G3 to survive a prolonged water test.
Models pose for photographs with LG Electronics' flagship G3 high-end smartphone at its unveiling ceremony in Seoul May 28, 2014. South Korea's LG Electronics Inc launched a revamped version of its flagship G3 high-end smartphone at a discount to its predecessor model on Wednesday and said it would ship more than 10 million units to improve its ailing handset business.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Roundup With 64-Bit Processor, Four Colour Choices, Curved OLED Display, OIS and More
New Leak on iPhone 6 SIM Card Tray Indicates Space Gray, Gold, and Silver Colors Alongside Internal Components- Reports
A curious LG G3 user under YouTube handle ITW (Harris Craycraft) wanted to find out if the new handset can withstand accidental water spilling accidents. So he placed the G3 in a sink with about 4 to 4.5 inches of water to find if it can survive the water test.
The LG G3 was left under water for 2 hours with the screen turned on during the entire duration of the test. Surprisingly, the G3 came out intact. After the water test, the user removed the rear panel of the battery unit and placed the handset in a bowl of rice to absorb water. [Scroll down to watch the video]
It is worth mentioning that, other high-end phones like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2 are IP67 and IP68 certified, i.e. the handsets are water and dust proof. So it is obvious that when LG announced the LG G3, expectations were similar to other killer smartphones. But for reasons unknown, LG decided to go against adding this feature in its 2014 flagship smartphone, says BGR.
For many potential buyers across the globe, owning a water-/dust-resistant handset is a required feature. For some, this is even a deal breaker. With stunning reviews from users and critics alike, the LG G3 was criticised for its lack of a water-resistant exterior.
Nevertheless, this torture test proved the LG G3 can withstand minor water spilling accidents. But users should note this test does not, in any way, prove the LG G3 is water proof because it is not IP67 certified. Therefore, potential LG G3 buyers should avoid any water accidents.
Keys Specs and Release Date
With respect to specifications, the LG G3 features a gigantic 5.5-inch display with 2,560 x 1,440 (Quad HD) resolution. The other peculiar specification of LG G3 is the choice of RAM and memory combination. The handset is powered by a quad-core Krait 400 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz. It comes with a 2 GB RAM (if users opt for 16 GB storage) and a 3 GB RAM (if users opt for 32 GB storage). It is worth noting that not all countries will be offering both combinations.
The LG G3 can be purchased from T-Mobile from July 16, Verizon from July 17, Sprint from July 18 and AT&T starting this week, says 9To5Google.
Other than network carriers, online retailers like Amazon and eBay are offering the Korean variant of the LG G3 (F-400 model). This particular model is priced at $775 (Amazon) and $825 (eBay).
Here is the video from ITW (Harris Craycraft):
(Credit: YouTube/Harris Craycraft)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015