Gender Discrimination Still Shadows Women: Ailsa Burkimsher Sadler's Petition Gains 70,000 Signatures
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 11, 2014 3:24 PM EST
It’s 2014. But certain things probably are not destined to change. Considering many different perspectives of life, it is clear that even today, women are being prominently discriminated by social norms, cultural forms and often by their own people.
Cori Walters, 32, (R) hugs her daughter Hannah Walters, 6, at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
One such example is marriage certificate. One petition filed by Ailsa Burkimsher Sadler, to include mothers on marriage certificates has gained 70,000 signatures. For some insensitive minds, it might not matter, but excluding mothers’ names implies wiping off women from the historical records, and it's just one instance of sexism women face in every day life.
In any marriage certificate, the requirements are the details of a bride and groom’s fathers. “But mothers receive no mention – no space has even been made to do so. This stands true for opposite and same sex marriages alike.”
The petition launched by Alisa “calls for marriage certificates to comply with the Equality Act by including space for mothers’ names.”
She initiated it with a strong sense for justice. She wanted to create enough conservation so the “Home Office had to “sit up and pay attention”.
According to Alisa, this gender discrimination against women are so systemic that it is there everywhere, right from education to work place and media does play an extremely important role as far as Page Three coverage is concerned.
“Women have been degraded, belittled and served up as sex objects in the press for years, despite the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) repeatedly identifying the links between the portrayal of women as sexual objects with attitudes underpinning violence and discrimination against them (a position backed up in a review commissioned by the Government),” she was quoted saying.
Women face oppression in innumerable ways and this issue needs to be continuously addressed.
She wants to go for parliamentary reform where the focus is challenging the 'old boys' club' mentality.
A new campaign is also coming up, “calling for a fairer ‘50/50’ representation” of women in politics points out that just 23 per cent of MPs are female. We’re topped in that table by Afghanistan.”
Alisa wants to go ahead with lots of hope.
You can sign Ailsa’s petition for mothers’ name on marriage certificates, and read the stories, at: change.org/nameequality
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date