Antioxidant Supplements Can Accelerate Cancer, Not Protect Against Them
By Sarah Thomas | July 11, 2014 3:08 PM EST
A brief paper appearing in The New England Journal of Medicine, shook the belief of a multitude of people who since time immemorial rested their hopes and looked towards anitioxidant supplements to curb the development of cancer.
Brazilian patient Isabela (L), 4, wears a Brazil national soccer team t-shirt with her name on it as she is walks with her father Thiago at the end of the 2014 World Cup Group A soccer match between Brazil and Mexico at the Cancer Itaci Hospital in Sao Paulo June 17, 2014. REUTERS/Nacho Doce (BRAZIL - Tags: SPORT SOCCER WORLD CUP SOCIETY HEALTH)
Authors David Tuveson, MD, PhD, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Professor and Director of Research for the Lustgarten Foundation, and Navdeep S. Chandel, PhD, of the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University, suggest the reasons behind the failure of antioxidant supplements in reducing cancer development.They also attempted to explain why they can cause harm than good.
This paper was based on the developments made in the study of the system in our cells that naturally strike a balance between the oxidising and anti-oxidising compounds. Oxidants like hydrogen peroxide are crucial to the body in small quantities, and they are produced with the cell itself. A large amount can be toxic and dangerous, and for this reason, the cell itself manufactures anti-oxidants to fight and neutralise them. Antioxidant supplements, for this reason, are consumed in large quantities to destroy these oxidants, hydrogen peroxide and similar toxic "reactive oxygen species" or ROS that are generated excessively by cancer cells to boost and feed their growth.
Drawing on all of this, David and Chandel propose that the consumption of antioxidant rich food or supplements are not beneficial because they do not function in the regions where ROS is produced, which is the mitochondria. Instead they accumulate at scattered distant regions away from the ROS-producing areas, "leaving tumor-promoting ROS relatively unperturbed," the researchers say.
A higher level of anti-oxidants ironically increases the cancer cells production of oxidants and ROS to counter them, and there is a high probability of the growth to continue. Referring to the radiation therapy that increases the oxidant level in the body to kill these toxic oxidants and ROS, they state that an increase in the level of oxidants in the body will do the patients good.
The authors suggest "genetic or pharmacologic inhibition of antioxidant proteins." A tried and tested concept that was successful on rodent models with lung and pancreatic cancers, they state it may be a useful therapeutic approach in humans as well. According to them, the biggest challenge would be to identify antioxidant proteins and the pathways in the cells that are used only by cancer cells and not by healthy cells. Hampering the production of antioxidants in healthy cells will upset the delicate redox balance upon which normal cellular function depends.
The authors propose a new research on it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- 'Desperate Housewives' Actress Polly Bergen Died; Suffered Complications From Emphysema
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border