Climate Change Can Increase the Probability of Kidney Stones
By Sarah Thomas | July 11, 2014 3:08 PM EST
A hot weather is the best type of climate enjoyed by everyone, but it has also proven to have an adverse affect on your kidneys, causing an increasing growth of kidney stones among people. A seven-year study in several major U.S. cities on 60,433 patients and an examination of the U.S weather proves it.
A Palestinian walks atop the rubble of a house which police said was destroyed in an Israeli air strikes in Gaza City July 8, 2014. Israel launched an aerial offensive in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, bombing more than 30 targets including homes and calling it part of a campaign named "Operation Protective Edge" targeting Hamas Islamist militants firing rockets at the Jewish state. The military urged Israelis within a 40-km (24-mile) radius of the southern coastal territory to stay within reach of protected areas and ordered summer camps shut as a precaution against rocket fire. Palestinian officials said Israel bombed more than 30 targets in little more than an hour before dawn, including two homes in southern Gaza, one of which was identified by a neighbour as belonging to a Hamas member. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem (GAZA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL
Doctors at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia conducted the study which was published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives. The study shows that as the daily temperature rose to 50 degrees Fahrenheit, in some residents of Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia, the risk of kidney stones increased. It was not seen in Los Angeles though.
Gregory T Tesian, lead author, said, "We found that as daily temperatures rise, there is a rapid increase in the probability of patients presenting over the next 20 days with kidney stones." The major determining factor they believed was the number "hot" days the city experiences, which is the daily mean temperature and not the annual mean temperature. Cities with higher daily mean temperature were more likely to cause kidney stones among their residents.
Approximately half a billion people in the U.S. are taken to emergency rooms due to kidney stones. The situation is only getting worse with 1 in every 11 people, said the 2011 report, experiencing kidney stones. It is also speculated that rising temperatures may cause dehydration, resulting in a mineral build up in the urine, the root cause for kidney stones.
Kidney stones have been increasing for the last 30 years. "We can expect this trend to continue, both in greater numbers and over a broader geographic area, as daily temperatures increase," Tasian said. "With some experts predicting that extreme temperatures will become the norm in 30 years, children will bear the brunt of climate change."
There is no accurate reason for their rise, some assume it is related to the changes in diet and fluid consumption. "Perhaps it also relates to the scourge of heat that's marked the planet's recent climate", the researchers wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Reasons Kate Middleton Cancelled Royal Duties: Weight Gain, Growing Baby Bump, Bloated Face
- Ebola Leaves Children Unwanted And Rejected: UNICEF Reports
- An Apple A Day Keeps Obesity Away: Finds New Study
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build