Climate Change Can Increase the Probability of Kidney Stones
By Sarah Thomas | July 11, 2014 3:08 PM EST
A hot weather is the best type of climate enjoyed by everyone, but it has also proven to have an adverse affect on your kidneys, causing an increasing growth of kidney stones among people. A seven-year study in several major U.S. cities on 60,433 patients and an examination of the U.S weather proves it.
A Palestinian walks atop the rubble of a house which police said was destroyed in an Israeli air strikes in Gaza City July 8, 2014. Israel launched an aerial offensive in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, bombing more than 30 targets including homes and calling it part of a campaign named "Operation Protective Edge" targeting Hamas Islamist militants firing rockets at the Jewish state. The military urged Israelis within a 40-km (24-mile) radius of the southern coastal territory to stay within reach of protected areas and ordered summer camps shut as a precaution against rocket fire. Palestinian officials said Israel bombed more than 30 targets in little more than an hour before dawn, including two homes in southern Gaza, one of which was identified by a neighbour as belonging to a Hamas member. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem (GAZA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL
Doctors at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia conducted the study which was published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives. The study shows that as the daily temperature rose to 50 degrees Fahrenheit, in some residents of Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia, the risk of kidney stones increased. It was not seen in Los Angeles though.
Gregory T Tesian, lead author, said, "We found that as daily temperatures rise, there is a rapid increase in the probability of patients presenting over the next 20 days with kidney stones." The major determining factor they believed was the number "hot" days the city experiences, which is the daily mean temperature and not the annual mean temperature. Cities with higher daily mean temperature were more likely to cause kidney stones among their residents.
Approximately half a billion people in the U.S. are taken to emergency rooms due to kidney stones. The situation is only getting worse with 1 in every 11 people, said the 2011 report, experiencing kidney stones. It is also speculated that rising temperatures may cause dehydration, resulting in a mineral build up in the urine, the root cause for kidney stones.
Kidney stones have been increasing for the last 30 years. "We can expect this trend to continue, both in greater numbers and over a broader geographic area, as daily temperatures increase," Tasian said. "With some experts predicting that extreme temperatures will become the norm in 30 years, children will bear the brunt of climate change."
There is no accurate reason for their rise, some assume it is related to the changes in diet and fluid consumption. "Perhaps it also relates to the scourge of heat that's marked the planet's recent climate", the researchers wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- Movember Ends With Shave-Off
- Viral 'Do They Know Its Christmas?' Video With Ed Sheeran, One Direction, Sam Smith Raises $1.5 Million For Ebola In Minutes
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast