How To Prepare For A Super Typhoon
July 11, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Japan is bracing itself as Typhoon Neoguri pounds on its shores with wind gusts averaging 200 mph. Dubbed a "supertyphoon", Neoguri is the largest storm on Earth and people should expect giant waves and heavy winds hitting the east side of Miyako Island in Okinawa first.
People holding umbrellas cross a street in Tokyo during rain and winds caused by tropical storm Neoguri as the storm approaches
When calamities like these strike, it is best to be prepared. Here are some tips to stay safe.
1. Get updates on weather information and typhoon warnings
People should get the latest news on how the weather is developing. Get information on how fast the wind is traveling over the seas days before the typhoon strikes so you can evacuate in advance and save most of your possessions.
2. Avoid air or sea travel
Cancel flights and boat trips days before the super typhoon is supposed to hit. Airline companies actually cancel the flights in advance to protect passengers and their fleets. Pack your things in your car days before then transfer these to a safer location.
3. Prepare an emergency kit
People living in tropical areas should always have an emergency kit containing the essentials that will help them survive in the next few days. The kit should include a blanket, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, rope, food supplies and other necessities that will sustain you during and after the giant storm.
4. Move to high ground. There is a huge possibility for a storm surge after a super typhoon so people should evacuate to high ground to prevent getting engulfed by giant waves which follow the storm. Look for locations several miles away from the seashore. The government will usually issue authorised evacuation places that are deemed safe for victims.
5. Stay connected
Have a mobile charge and a functional cellular phone or mobile radio at all times. You should communicate with all family members to ensure their safety.
6. Have an evacuation plan
Every family should know the basics of a properly executed evacuation plan. This should be practiced months before so that everyone moves in haste and increase their chances of survival.
7. Leave unnecessary things
Only bring important items when evacuating like official documents, food and the emergency kit. Leave heavy appliances and bulky valuables.
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Tips On How To Find A Good Pediatrician For Your Kids
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Shares A Recipe For A Prenatal Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan