How To Prepare For A Super Typhoon
July 11, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Japan is bracing itself as Typhoon Neoguri pounds on its shores with wind gusts averaging 200 mph. Dubbed a "supertyphoon", Neoguri is the largest storm on Earth and people should expect giant waves and heavy winds hitting the east side of Miyako Island in Okinawa first.
People holding umbrellas cross a street in Tokyo during rain and winds caused by tropical storm Neoguri as the storm approaches
When calamities like these strike, it is best to be prepared. Here are some tips to stay safe.
1. Get updates on weather information and typhoon warnings
People should get the latest news on how the weather is developing. Get information on how fast the wind is traveling over the seas days before the typhoon strikes so you can evacuate in advance and save most of your possessions.
2. Avoid air or sea travel
Cancel flights and boat trips days before the super typhoon is supposed to hit. Airline companies actually cancel the flights in advance to protect passengers and their fleets. Pack your things in your car days before then transfer these to a safer location.
3. Prepare an emergency kit
People living in tropical areas should always have an emergency kit containing the essentials that will help them survive in the next few days. The kit should include a blanket, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, rope, food supplies and other necessities that will sustain you during and after the giant storm.
4. Move to high ground. There is a huge possibility for a storm surge after a super typhoon so people should evacuate to high ground to prevent getting engulfed by giant waves which follow the storm. Look for locations several miles away from the seashore. The government will usually issue authorised evacuation places that are deemed safe for victims.
5. Stay connected
Have a mobile charge and a functional cellular phone or mobile radio at all times. You should communicate with all family members to ensure their safety.
6. Have an evacuation plan
Every family should know the basics of a properly executed evacuation plan. This should be practiced months before so that everyone moves in haste and increase their chances of survival.
7. Leave unnecessary things
Only bring important items when evacuating like official documents, food and the emergency kit. Leave heavy appliances and bulky valuables.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build