How To Prepare For A Super Typhoon
July 11, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Japan is bracing itself as Typhoon Neoguri pounds on its shores with wind gusts averaging 200 mph. Dubbed a "supertyphoon", Neoguri is the largest storm on Earth and people should expect giant waves and heavy winds hitting the east side of Miyako Island in Okinawa first.
People holding umbrellas cross a street in Tokyo during rain and winds caused by tropical storm Neoguri as the storm approaches
When calamities like these strike, it is best to be prepared. Here are some tips to stay safe.
1. Get updates on weather information and typhoon warnings
People should get the latest news on how the weather is developing. Get information on how fast the wind is traveling over the seas days before the typhoon strikes so you can evacuate in advance and save most of your possessions.
2. Avoid air or sea travel
Cancel flights and boat trips days before the super typhoon is supposed to hit. Airline companies actually cancel the flights in advance to protect passengers and their fleets. Pack your things in your car days before then transfer these to a safer location.
3. Prepare an emergency kit
People living in tropical areas should always have an emergency kit containing the essentials that will help them survive in the next few days. The kit should include a blanket, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, rope, food supplies and other necessities that will sustain you during and after the giant storm.
4. Move to high ground. There is a huge possibility for a storm surge after a super typhoon so people should evacuate to high ground to prevent getting engulfed by giant waves which follow the storm. Look for locations several miles away from the seashore. The government will usually issue authorised evacuation places that are deemed safe for victims.
5. Stay connected
Have a mobile charge and a functional cellular phone or mobile radio at all times. You should communicate with all family members to ensure their safety.
6. Have an evacuation plan
Every family should know the basics of a properly executed evacuation plan. This should be practiced months before so that everyone moves in haste and increase their chances of survival.
7. Leave unnecessary things
Only bring important items when evacuating like official documents, food and the emergency kit. Leave heavy appliances and bulky valuables.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide