How to Prepare Your Phone for the iOS 8 Update
July 11, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Users of the iPhone will enjoy an array of fresh functions and looks with the new upgrades on iOS 8. The new OS features a number of notable features that will essentially boost smartphone security. First, location trackers cannot duplicate data from devices that use iOS8. Second, spammers and advertising can be detected in the App Store. It is best that you prepare for the new update.
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
1. Device compatibility
First, use a device which will be compatible with iOS 8. The new OS will only work with iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and 5C, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad 2, iPad Retina display, iPad Air, iPad mini and iPad mini Retina. Older models will not be supported.
2. Delete unused app
Review all the available apps installed in your device then delete the ones you no longer need or use. Apps that are outdated may also be deleted, since developers who failed to provide updates may present new ones in the new OS. Provide more space for iOS 8 by deleting files, images and videos you do not need or transferring these into your computer or an external storage device.
3. Backup file
Protect your files before upgrading to iOS 8 by saving these in your computer via iTunes. You can also save the files via iCloud. To backup data to iCloud, go to "Settings" then "iCloud" then "Storage & Backup". Adjust the iCloud Backup option to green to turn it on then choose "Back Up Now".
4. About previous settings
After upgrading to iOS 8, you may find most settings have been reset to default. Remember which settings have been changed according to your preference so you can adjust after the upgrade.
5. Upgrade iTunes
A new version of iTunes will be featured by Apple before iOS 8 becomes available. Install the new version. Also check for iOS 8-compatible apps that will be launched by Apple just before the OS launch.
Expect millions of people to download the new OS at the same time so you may experience slow downloads or troubles when downloading on release day. Some people find it more convenient to download 24 to 72 hours later.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery