A 410 Million-Year-Old Arachnid Crawls Back To Life
By Sarah Thomas | July 11, 2014 2:40 PM EST
A 410 million-year-old Arachnid's fossil was so well preserved, it was possible for scientists to see it's joints and they used this to recreate this in the virtual world. Known in the scientific world as trigonotarbid, the creature was the first predator to walk on the surface of the earth.
It's specimens were found in Scotland, near the Aberdeenshire town of Rhynie. To recreate this ancient animal, Russell Garwood from the University of Manchester, UK, and his colleagues analysed these immaculately preserved specimens.
They closely studied the trigonotarbids visible muscle structure and studied its possible preys. "Between each part of the leg, there are darker pieces where they join, and that allowed us to work out the range of movement," said Garwood to BBC News.
The gait of the trigonotarbids were compared with the gaits of modern spiders because they have similar leg proportions, he explained. They used an open source graphic program called Blender to recreate the motion, which enabled them to see the centre of mass and find a gait that worked. "If it's too far back compared to the legs, the posterior drags on the ground. The trigonotarbid is an alternating tetrapod, meaning there are four feet on the ground at any one time," he explained.
The co-author of the research, Jason Dunlop of the Museum of Natural History in Berlin, Germany, stated that now it would be much simpler to make these animations, and scientists themselves could do it without needing "the technical wizardry and immense costs of a Jurassic Park-Style Film."
The work is published in the the Journal Of Palentology as a part of a special collection of papers on 3D visualizations of fossils.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown