Doctor Who Star Karen Gillan On Her Shaved Head, Talks Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy
By Tanya Diente | July 11, 2014 2:34 PM EST
Karen Gillan is set to appear as a villain in the highly-anticipated movie "Guardians of the Galaxy." The Scottish actress, who portrays Amy Pond in the BBC series "Doctor Who," landed the role of Nebula and she recently shared details of her role especially on shaving her hair to perfectly portray the Marvel character.
Actress Zoe Saldana poses on the red carpet as she arrives for the opening ceremony and the screening of the film "Grace of Monaco" (Grace de Monaco) out of competition during the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 14, 2014. The festival will run from May 14 to 25.
In an interview with Screenrant, the former model and star of "Oculus" recalled, that prior to auditioning for Nebula, she was already told that whoever gets the role would have to shave off her hair. Jokingly, she recalled saying, "absolutely, I will shave my head! Sure!" thinking that she wasn't going to land the part. However, after three screen tests she realised she could after all be shaving her head.
"I got the part, and then I thought about it seriously, and I was like, 'I absolutely want to shave my head for this,'" she recalled. Gillan said the "opportunity was too good to pass up" so she'd rather shave her hair off.
The downside to having a shaved head, joked the actress, is that men rarely hold the door open for her. Although she admitted that it's a liberating feeling and that seeing how people react to it is also interesting (see photo of Gillan with shaved head from justjared).
When asked about her character, Nebula, in "Guardians of the Galaxy," Gillan said she finds her character interesting.
Possible spoilers below
Karen Gillan said Nebula has a lot of sibling rivalry going on with her sister Gamora, who happens to be one of the guardians. Nebula is a jealous person and a sadist, similar to "Ronan the Accuser," her villain counterpart in "Guardians of the Galaxy." Nebula is a blue alien made up of a cybernetic arm and eye.
According to hypable, Karen also described Nebula as "unapologetically so mean." She gets pleasure at the bad things she does. Likewise, a previous report from IBTimes likened Nebula to her adoptive father, Thanos, who is hungry for power.
In another report from Screenrant, Karen Gillan said Nebula is a lieutenant of "Ronan the Accuser." Her character, along with Ronan are said to be on a "holy mission" to eradicate all that is weak in the galaxy.
According to Karen Gillan, Nebula's ultimate goal in "Guardians of the Galaxy" is to impress the people who had brainwashed her since she was a kid into achieving the "holy mission."
"Guardians of the Galaxy" is a star-studded movie. It also stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Djimon Hounsou and John C. Reilly. Benicio Del Toro makes an appearance as "The Collector" and Josh Brolin as the voice of Thanos. The movie will open in US cinemas on Aug. 1, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date