ASP Surfing: 2014 Whalebone Classic in Australia Begins Friday
By James Patrick Quizon | July 11, 2014 12:52 PM EST
The weather experts are predicting a perfect condition for the 2014 Whalebone Classic in Australia and the top surfers are hoping to get their perfect scores to notch the titles in the event held at Cottesloe, West Australia from July 11 to July 13, 2014.
The three-day event is expected to draw both a large number of participants and surfing fans from around Australia and the world. An estimated number of 160 competitors are pegged to join in various divisions including the men’s, women’s and amateur categories with surfers ranging from under-16 and over-60 years old.
"I'm excited for the event, I hear there's some good waves and good swell," said Nic Jones, the top seed in the men’s division, in the official website of the competition.
"I'm looking forward to kicking it off and having fun with all the boys. I've had a good run in events recently with a few runner-up finishes to Taylor Jensen. It's been a big goal to consistently make the finals, I put it down to training and coaching and I hope I can keep it up. There's heaps of great surfers and surf breaks over here in WA, it's so different to the east coast I really love it."
Aside from Jones, top surfers who registered for their respective events are Justin Redman, a former Aussie champion; Jock Bahen, a popular surfer from Cottesloe; Heith Norrish, Jock Bahen, Nick, Farago, Jack Entwistle, and Tim Fitzpatrick among many others.
In the distaff side, Georgia Young, Sam Vanderford, Michaela Ross, Erin Dark, Roisin Carolan, Tehani Hinkley and Katie Jones are among the top ladies who are expected to find success in the 2-star rated surfing event.
"The Whalebone Classic is the event I look forward to every year." Young shared. "It's my home break that I've been surfing since I was 12, so I feel super comfortable no matter what the conditions. It's such a great event that attracts so many spectators so it's so exciting to be a part of.”
The competitors will be aiming for the $10,000 prize money and the available qualifying spots for the ASP World Longboard Championships in 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks