ASP Surfing: 2014 Whalebone Classic in Australia Begins Friday
By James Patrick Quizon | July 11, 2014 12:52 PM EST
The weather experts are predicting a perfect condition for the 2014 Whalebone Classic in Australia and the top surfers are hoping to get their perfect scores to notch the titles in the event held at Cottesloe, West Australia from July 11 to July 13, 2014.
The three-day event is expected to draw both a large number of participants and surfing fans from around Australia and the world. An estimated number of 160 competitors are pegged to join in various divisions including the men’s, women’s and amateur categories with surfers ranging from under-16 and over-60 years old.
"I'm excited for the event, I hear there's some good waves and good swell," said Nic Jones, the top seed in the men’s division, in the official website of the competition.
"I'm looking forward to kicking it off and having fun with all the boys. I've had a good run in events recently with a few runner-up finishes to Taylor Jensen. It's been a big goal to consistently make the finals, I put it down to training and coaching and I hope I can keep it up. There's heaps of great surfers and surf breaks over here in WA, it's so different to the east coast I really love it."
Aside from Jones, top surfers who registered for their respective events are Justin Redman, a former Aussie champion; Jock Bahen, a popular surfer from Cottesloe; Heith Norrish, Jock Bahen, Nick, Farago, Jack Entwistle, and Tim Fitzpatrick among many others.
In the distaff side, Georgia Young, Sam Vanderford, Michaela Ross, Erin Dark, Roisin Carolan, Tehani Hinkley and Katie Jones are among the top ladies who are expected to find success in the 2-star rated surfing event.
"The Whalebone Classic is the event I look forward to every year." Young shared. "It's my home break that I've been surfing since I was 12, so I feel super comfortable no matter what the conditions. It's such a great event that attracts so many spectators so it's so exciting to be a part of.”
The competitors will be aiming for the $10,000 prize money and the available qualifying spots for the ASP World Longboard Championships in 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports