How to Increase Your Metabolism and Lose Weight
July 11, 2014 12:47 PM EST
Follow these simple steps to get you fit in no time:
1. Reduce Stress
- Being stressed out is one of the main hazards of a healthy metabolism. Stress is contributing to the trend of national weight gain.
- It is important to restore a healthy mindset, practice techniques like yoga and exercise on a daily basis.
- Video: Yoga for Stress Management
2. Eat the correct number of calories
A model presents a creation by Claudia Pegus during the Tobago Fashion Coda in Lowlands, Tobago island, April 24, 2014. Picture taken April 24, 2014. REUTERS/Andrea De Silva (TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO - Tags: FASHION)
- It is important to know your number of calories per day to become aware of how many calories to consume to maintain your weight (or lose or gain)
- Use a calorie calculator to estimate the number of daily calories your body needs to maintain or lose weight.
3. Interval Cardiovascular Exercises
- Burn more calories during each sweat session by adding high-intensity intervals into your cardio
4. Eat Green Leafy Vegetables
- Dark green, leafy vegetables helps boosts metabolism and burns fat. Add these top ten choices to your diet: Spinach, Tomato, Cabbage, Broccoli, Peppers, Beets, Celery, Eggplant, and Carrots
5. Drink Green Tea
- Green tea contains catechins, an antioxidant that raises resting metabolism by four percent (about 80 calories a day).
6. Drink More Water
- A study also showed that people who drink eight to 12 glasses of water a day burned more fat than those who only drink four.
- Though the extra calories you burn drinking a single glass don't amount to much, making it a habit can add up to pounds lost with essentially zero additional effort.
7. Eat Bed Time Snacks
- Having a light bite before bed can actually boost your metabolism
- Two recent Florida State University studies found that having 150 calories about 30 minutes before you go to sleep-that's an extra 150 calories added to your day, not taken out of your daily allotment-boosted metabolism in the morning, compared with having none.
- Burn calories while you sleep by cranking with a 100- to 200-calorie bedtime snack
8. Don't Skip Meals
- Skipping meals, especially breakfast, can actually lead to weight gain.
- Your metabolism slows down, and you're much more likely to overeat later in the day
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Your Hairdryer Could Make You Deaf, New Survey
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko