U.S. Pilot Treats Stranded Frontier Airlines Passengers to Pizza, Money from Own Pocket
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 11, 2014 12:06 PM EST
If all pilots were as considerate and as caring as Frontier Airlines pilot Gerhard Bradner, flying passengers surely won't mind flight delays. Armed with 50 boxes of pizza, Bradner diverted what could have been a total PR disaster for the airline company, no thanks to bad weather.
REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
Customers wait their turn to be served at at the Delta airlines office in Caracas July 7, 2014. Delta Air Lines will run only one flight a week to Venezuela instead of one a day because of difficulties repatriating revenue through the country's exchange controls, the company said on Monday. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins (VENEZUELA - Tags: TRANSPORT BUSINESS POLITICS)
Departing Washington, D.C. for Denver was already an hour behind schedule. Monday night's storm eventually forced Frontier Airlines Flight 719 to land at Cheyenne Regional Airport in Wyoming to make a pitstop for several hours.
While waiting the bad weather to pass, flight attendants were busy serving all the available food on the plane to its passengers.
But the dilemma came when the food ran out and yet the rains and winds continued to batter the airport, meaning Frontier Airlines Flight 719 still had to stay it out longer, but they don't know until what time.
The scheduled 3-hour flight dragged into a nearly 7-hour ordeal, and the pilot knew he had to do something to keep his passengers' minds off the weather, apart from being well-fed.
"Next thing you know, Domino's Pizza was rolling up to the plane," passenger Logan Torres told CNN.
Brandner said he was hungry when the plane touched down, but it would be damn selfish and cruel to just order pizza for himself. So he decided to call Dominos and ordered 50 boxes.
Domino's Pizza manager in Cheyenne, Wyoming, Adam Ritchie, took the call. "I need to feed my whole plane," Ritchie recalled Bradner telling him. "Lucky me, I hear 160 people. It ended up being like 38 pizzas."
Bradner told him to deliver the pizzas to the tarmac ASAP.
At the back, the 160 passengers were probably toying with their heads how to cope up with the storm and delayed when they heard the pilot speak, "Ladies and gentleman, Frontier Airlines is known for being one of the cheapest airlines in the U.S., but your captain is not cheap. I just ordered pizza for the entire plane."
"If the need arises you need to take care of your family; you need to take care of your passengers," Bradner said in an interview with 9News. "We take care of each other and we consider our passengers an extended part of our family. And once they step foot on my airplane they are my responsibility, I'll be taking care of them. If that includes feeding them than so be it."
PR News commended Bradner's initiative. "Diverting any potentially negative story about air traffic delays, Bradner instead delivered a massive media hit for Frontier-all for the price of 50 pizzas."
Watch the video of the happy passengers who got delighted when the pizza came to them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James