Americans Prefer Surgeries, Drugs for Weight Loss
By Smitha Nambiar | July 11, 2014 11:59 AM EST
Americans prefer to consume weight loss medications drugs and weight loss surgery, in comparison to self-modification, which includes a healthy diet and exercise, reveals a study published in the Science Daily. The findings were shared at the annual International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society (ICE/ENDO) meeting, held in Chicago last week.
A “huge increase” in heart attacks, strokes and diabetes has resulted due to the quantum leap in the number of overweight people
After closely monitoring and studying the findings of 23,000 surveys, Dr Z Jason Wang, the study's principal investigator, said, "Obese and overweight Americans who have tried losing weight report far greater overall satisfaction with weight loss surgery and prescription weight loss medications than with diet, exercise and other self-modification methods."
Wang said the average person who is obese or want to lose some extra kilos prefer to "insert sleeves and bands around organs to self-modification." However, previous studies have shown that weight loss medications drugs and weight loss surgery have extreme side effects and is not recommended by most doctors.
On weight loss drugs, three types of drugs are used - stimulant-like drugs, orlistat and sibutramine (meridia). Stimulant-like drugs stimulate the central nervous system and reduce appetite. The side effects include pulmonary hypertension, resulting in a fatal disorder due to high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs, valvular disease of the heart, increased pulse and heart rate, elevated blood pressure, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, dry mouth, and constipation. Sibutramine makes you feel full by increasing levels of serotonin and norepinephrine. The harmful effects of sibutramine include insomnia, headache, dry mouth, anorexia, constipation, runny nose and sore throat. Orlistat ensures prevention of fat absorption in the gut. The ill effects of this drug include gas, diarrhea, flatulence, oily stools, and a decrease in absorption of fat-soluble vitamin.
Surgeries for weight loss too are not recommended by health professionals. According to NIH statistic, most people who have undergone weight-loss surgery begin to regain weight after two years. Moreover, many individuals who have had weight-loss surgery have to get the surgery reversed because the problems are so severe that they could die. The side effects of weight loss surgery are far too many. Few of them include -
- Throwing up if you eat more than half a cup of food at a time.
- Frequent complaint of diarrhea, hernia, infection and gallstones.
- Cannot eat fruits or vegetables.
- Unable to eat any food with fat in it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Observers From British Columbia To California Dazzled By Fireball; Social Media Lights Up[Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers