Minecraft Celebrates 16 Million Sales on PC with New Snapshot 14w28b
By Gel Galang | July 11, 2014 10:41 AM EST
As the release date for the "Minecraft PS4 Edition" and "Minecraft Xbox One Edition" come closer, "Minecraft" retains its popularity among fans, long-time players and even newbies as the franchise hits its 16 million mark for the PC and Mac versions of the game.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/Files
Mojang has displayed the sales counter, which does not even count those who are playing "Minecraft" on their consoles and mobile phones. The "Minecraft" fever is only about to get higher, considering that even the mobile edition of the game, "Minecraft: Pocket Edition" has recently received the 0.9.0 update which will bring bigger worlds and more features to your pocket Minecraft-ing.
GameSpot reports that, of the current numbers seen for the PC and Mac versions of "Minecraft," two million of these have been sold in as little as five months, because the last sales announcement of the game was 14 million back in February, which was less than a year ago.
Minecraft Snapshot 14w28b Released
Speaking of improvements to "Minecraft," the latest snapshot 14w28b has recently been released by developer Mojang.
"We're starting to enter the last phase of our development cycle for 1.8, and so we'll be focusing on finalizing features, fixing bugs and optimizing the game over the next few weeks as we draw a little closer to something we'd like to eventually consider releasable," said Mojang via its official Web site.
"Today's snapshot is one such example, bringing (hopefully) some big optimizations to the server and client, a few less bugs to worry about, and a handful of hugs in their place."
Mojang has also listed down some of the changes that will be coming with this pre-Minecraft 1.8 snapshot as enumerated below:
- Servers can now customise network compression in server.properties
- The new block model format for resource packs can be considered stable and ready to use.
- Enchantments and effects now accept names instead of arbitrary IDs.
- Alternative (random) block models specified by resource packs can now be disabled in Video Settings.
- Many optimisations to both the server (including singleplayer) and the client.
- Less bugs!
- Compressed space and time.
That's not all as a long list of bugs has been posted on the Mojang Web site. The link above contains the detailed bug fixes and optimisations that can be expected with the latest snapshot.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28