Minecraft Celebrates 16 Million Sales on PC with New Snapshot 14w28b
By Gel Galang | July 11, 2014 10:41 AM EST
As the release date for the "Minecraft PS4 Edition" and "Minecraft Xbox One Edition" come closer, "Minecraft" retains its popularity among fans, long-time players and even newbies as the franchise hits its 16 million mark for the PC and Mac versions of the game.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/Files
Mojang has displayed the sales counter, which does not even count those who are playing "Minecraft" on their consoles and mobile phones. The "Minecraft" fever is only about to get higher, considering that even the mobile edition of the game, "Minecraft: Pocket Edition" has recently received the 0.9.0 update which will bring bigger worlds and more features to your pocket Minecraft-ing.
GameSpot reports that, of the current numbers seen for the PC and Mac versions of "Minecraft," two million of these have been sold in as little as five months, because the last sales announcement of the game was 14 million back in February, which was less than a year ago.
Minecraft Snapshot 14w28b Released
Speaking of improvements to "Minecraft," the latest snapshot 14w28b has recently been released by developer Mojang.
"We're starting to enter the last phase of our development cycle for 1.8, and so we'll be focusing on finalizing features, fixing bugs and optimizing the game over the next few weeks as we draw a little closer to something we'd like to eventually consider releasable," said Mojang via its official Web site.
"Today's snapshot is one such example, bringing (hopefully) some big optimizations to the server and client, a few less bugs to worry about, and a handful of hugs in their place."
Mojang has also listed down some of the changes that will be coming with this pre-Minecraft 1.8 snapshot as enumerated below:
- Servers can now customise network compression in server.properties
- The new block model format for resource packs can be considered stable and ready to use.
- Enchantments and effects now accept names instead of arbitrary IDs.
- Alternative (random) block models specified by resource packs can now be disabled in Video Settings.
- Many optimisations to both the server (including singleplayer) and the client.
- Less bugs!
- Compressed space and time.
That's not all as a long list of bugs has been posted on the Mojang Web site. The link above contains the detailed bug fixes and optimisations that can be expected with the latest snapshot.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery