Minecraft Celebrates 16 Million Sales on PC with New Snapshot 14w28b
By Gel Galang | July 11, 2014 10:41 AM EST
As the release date for the "Minecraft PS4 Edition" and "Minecraft Xbox One Edition" come closer, "Minecraft" retains its popularity among fans, long-time players and even newbies as the franchise hits its 16 million mark for the PC and Mac versions of the game.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/Files
Mojang has displayed the sales counter, which does not even count those who are playing "Minecraft" on their consoles and mobile phones. The "Minecraft" fever is only about to get higher, considering that even the mobile edition of the game, "Minecraft: Pocket Edition" has recently received the 0.9.0 update which will bring bigger worlds and more features to your pocket Minecraft-ing.
GameSpot reports that, of the current numbers seen for the PC and Mac versions of "Minecraft," two million of these have been sold in as little as five months, because the last sales announcement of the game was 14 million back in February, which was less than a year ago.
Minecraft Snapshot 14w28b Released
Speaking of improvements to "Minecraft," the latest snapshot 14w28b has recently been released by developer Mojang.
"We're starting to enter the last phase of our development cycle for 1.8, and so we'll be focusing on finalizing features, fixing bugs and optimizing the game over the next few weeks as we draw a little closer to something we'd like to eventually consider releasable," said Mojang via its official Web site.
"Today's snapshot is one such example, bringing (hopefully) some big optimizations to the server and client, a few less bugs to worry about, and a handful of hugs in their place."
Mojang has also listed down some of the changes that will be coming with this pre-Minecraft 1.8 snapshot as enumerated below:
- Servers can now customise network compression in server.properties
- The new block model format for resource packs can be considered stable and ready to use.
- Enchantments and effects now accept names instead of arbitrary IDs.
- Alternative (random) block models specified by resource packs can now be disabled in Video Settings.
- Many optimisations to both the server (including singleplayer) and the client.
- Less bugs!
- Compressed space and time.
That's not all as a long list of bugs has been posted on the Mojang Web site. The link above contains the detailed bug fixes and optimisations that can be expected with the latest snapshot.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- ‘GTA V’ Zombies DLC Cheat Code Proves Character Change For Players---Report
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How