Tony Abbott: Carbon Tax Repeal Is Good News for Families, Business, Jobs and Prices
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 11, 2014 10:26 AM EST
Amidst the chaos in the Senate regarding the carbon tax repeal, Prime Minister Tony Abbott stressed that this move is good news for families, business, jobs, and prices.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott gestures as he gives a speech on a business event at the Shanghai International Expo Centre in Shanghai, April 11, 2014.
Speaking with Representative Steve Irons of Swan, Western Australia during the joint doorstep interview in Perth on Thursday, Abbott heralded that "today is the day when the carbon tax is finally scrapped." Transcript of the interview was posted on the Prime Minster's Web site.
The Prime Minister stated that carbon tax hits the average household by $550. With the impost nine percent carbon tax on power bills, he stated that the country's economy is handbrake by $9 billion a year. Abbott also mentioned that carbon tax has been a very huge contributor to the 25 percent increase of the business sector's power bills over the last two years.
When asked how quickly people can expect to save money once the carbon tax is repealed, Abbott stated that it will start to flow through the economy from day one. Since the bill scrapping the carbon tax is dated July 1, the Prime Minister stated that if the Senate votes that day as it should, the people will have lesser power cost on their next bill.
However, Tony Abbott's predictions did not go as planned. In a live blog from The Guardian it mentioned that the Abbott government had confidently predicted on Wednesday that it had the numbers in the Senate to "gag" the carbon tax debate and go directly to vote on the carbon repeal bills. But as it turned out, thee crossbench senators voted against the gag.
Democrat Labour Party senator John Madigan who voted against the gag stated that even though some government senators had already debated the topic "until their ears bleed," everyone still has the right to voice out their opinion particularly the new crossbenchers who needed time to speak. For him, it does not matter whether the senate will have to sit late or into the weekend but the point is to let everyone's opinion be heard.
Opposition leader in the senate Penny Wong raged that the government is back grounding media to push the vote on carbon tax repeal. At the end of the day, the senate refused to pass the legislation by 37 votes to 35. Instead, the Senate sent the carbon tax repeal legislation to "committee" for further discussion. This gives the Tony Abbott government with another $2 billion blow in the budget.
Watch Opposition leader in the senate Penny Wong's cold rage over the gag of Tony Abbott's government's on the carbon tax repeal from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers