3-Year-Old Cancer Patient Appointed as Deputy Sheriff in U.S.A
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 11, 2014 10:26 AM EST
The Huntington County sheriff's department now has the youngest sheriff in its history after 3-year-old Wyatt Schmaltz was appointed. He was awarded the uniform of a deputy and a medal for bravery. Wyatt is suffering from a rare form of cancer called Neuroblastoma which affects nerve tissues.
A child puts a flag over his face during a naturalization ceremony for one of his family members in New York July 9, 2014. Seventy-five people became American citizens at a event held by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), at the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) convention.
Indianapolis' youngest deputy swore in for his responsibilities from his hospital bed on Wednesday, July 9. He was awarded the medal of bravery for his fight against cancer. It was only in April 2014 that he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The young child started chemotherapy within four days of getting diagnosed. According to his mother April, the "outgoing little boy" never lost his determination during the process. She said that her son would love to "make people smile."
Wyatt was invited to Camp Hero where Huntington County officers train children about leadership and law enforcement. However, he was not able to attend the camp due to medical reasons. His condition became worse as days went by. He had to be admitted to James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. Nevertheless, officers were determined to meet the little hero. So, they went to the hospital meet him in person.
The officers went to the hospital with a deputy's uniform suitable for the size of a 3-year-old. Wyatt was sworn in as his eyes shone in pride. Unlike what people may assume, it was not a "make-believe" swearing-in ceremony. According to Huntington County Sheriff Terry Stoffel, it was not an honorary title that Wyatt was awarded with. It was, on the contrary, an official designation as the little sheriff now has all the powers and responsibilities that a regular sheriff deputy has. His primary responsibility is to carry out the sheriff's order.
Meanwhile, Wyatt has already received the first order from the sheriff. The little brave hero has been instructed to "get better." If he manages to carry out the order successfully, there will be numerous people who will feel proud of him, and that includes us. Here is wishing the newly appointed deputy sheriff of Indianapolis a speedy recovery.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase