3-Year-Old Cancer Patient Appointed as Deputy Sheriff in U.S.A
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 11, 2014 10:26 AM EST
The Huntington County sheriff's department now has the youngest sheriff in its history after 3-year-old Wyatt Schmaltz was appointed. He was awarded the uniform of a deputy and a medal for bravery. Wyatt is suffering from a rare form of cancer called Neuroblastoma which affects nerve tissues.
A child puts a flag over his face during a naturalization ceremony for one of his family members in New York July 9, 2014. Seventy-five people became American citizens at a event held by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), at the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) convention.
Indianapolis' youngest deputy swore in for his responsibilities from his hospital bed on Wednesday, July 9. He was awarded the medal of bravery for his fight against cancer. It was only in April 2014 that he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The young child started chemotherapy within four days of getting diagnosed. According to his mother April, the "outgoing little boy" never lost his determination during the process. She said that her son would love to "make people smile."
Wyatt was invited to Camp Hero where Huntington County officers train children about leadership and law enforcement. However, he was not able to attend the camp due to medical reasons. His condition became worse as days went by. He had to be admitted to James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. Nevertheless, officers were determined to meet the little hero. So, they went to the hospital meet him in person.
The officers went to the hospital with a deputy's uniform suitable for the size of a 3-year-old. Wyatt was sworn in as his eyes shone in pride. Unlike what people may assume, it was not a "make-believe" swearing-in ceremony. According to Huntington County Sheriff Terry Stoffel, it was not an honorary title that Wyatt was awarded with. It was, on the contrary, an official designation as the little sheriff now has all the powers and responsibilities that a regular sheriff deputy has. His primary responsibility is to carry out the sheriff's order.
Meanwhile, Wyatt has already received the first order from the sheriff. The little brave hero has been instructed to "get better." If he manages to carry out the order successfully, there will be numerous people who will feel proud of him, and that includes us. Here is wishing the newly appointed deputy sheriff of Indianapolis a speedy recovery.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone