Boxing News 2014: Web Site Criticises Pacquiao’s Selection of Algieri as Nov 22 Opponent, Calls Filipino Champ ‘Cherry Picker’
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 11, 2014 8:32 AM EST
Boxing News 24 disagrees with Manny Pacquiao's choice of junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri as his opponent for the scheduled Nov 22 bout in Macau, China.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
Cameron Gillon wrote, "This to me is the worst possible fight for Pacquiao and his fans, for years Pacquiao's fans have unloaded bombs on Mayweather fans in how Floyd cherry picks his opponents to keep his O and unbeaten record in toe, and how he ducks all top fighters that call him out."
He pointed out that before Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum announced on Wednesday that they have made a formal offer to Algieri, heavy names were floated by the Pacquiao promoter. These include Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez.
Gillon pointed out that other than beating Ruslan Provodnikov, Algiere has no other significant fights on his record of 20 bouts. "This is a big big mismatch much like Floyd Mayweather's fights these days," he wrote. Gillon added that he wouldn't be surprised if Pacquiao would end his boxing career by having another rematch with Timothy Bradley or Brandon Rios.
Algieri's camp said the young boxer is studying the Pacquiao offer, although chances are he would agree because it would up his ante and purse. In his January fight, Algieri, 30, made $15,000, which jumped to $100,000 when he beat Provodnikov. A Pacquiao bout would boost his guaranteed purse to more than $1 million, although the Filipino champ would surely pocket the lion's share of the fight's earnings.
In defense of his choice of Algieri, Arum told ESPN, "I like with story line with Algieri. Besides being a good fighter he's a college graduate, a kid who wants to go to medical school to become a doctor in the future, He's articulate, good looking and we'll get a lot of backing in the promotion from the New York media because he's from New York."
He is also a former kickboxer and a master's degree holder, but ESPN pointed out that the young boxer has very limited TV exposure which could affect pay-per-view revenues in the Macau fight. In the April bout of Pacquiao in Macau against Rios, the PPV buys were less than 500,000.
Joe DeGuardia, Star Boxing promoter who handles Algieri's career, said to ESPN, "When you fight somebody like Manny Pacquiao you're a different player in the sport. Monetarily, it's always important to get what you can get, so while the offer isn't exactly what we wanted the flipside is that there are so many collateral benefits at it from a marketing standpoint in the United States."
But for Gillon, he would rather watch the Mayweather rematch with Maidana "than watch this farse that is Pacquiao/Algieri."
Although Mayweather won in his May 3 bout versus the Argentinean boxer, it wasn't an easy victory since he suffered a cut on his right eye and it wasn't a unanimous decision, which was a factor that Money May reconsidered in agreeing to give Maidana the rematch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions