Boxing News 2014: Web Site Criticises Pacquiao’s Selection of Algieri as Nov 22 Opponent, Calls Filipino Champ ‘Cherry Picker’
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 11, 2014 8:32 AM EST
Boxing News 24 disagrees with Manny Pacquiao's choice of junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri as his opponent for the scheduled Nov 22 bout in Macau, China.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
Cameron Gillon wrote, "This to me is the worst possible fight for Pacquiao and his fans, for years Pacquiao's fans have unloaded bombs on Mayweather fans in how Floyd cherry picks his opponents to keep his O and unbeaten record in toe, and how he ducks all top fighters that call him out."
He pointed out that before Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum announced on Wednesday that they have made a formal offer to Algieri, heavy names were floated by the Pacquiao promoter. These include Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez.
Gillon pointed out that other than beating Ruslan Provodnikov, Algiere has no other significant fights on his record of 20 bouts. "This is a big big mismatch much like Floyd Mayweather's fights these days," he wrote. Gillon added that he wouldn't be surprised if Pacquiao would end his boxing career by having another rematch with Timothy Bradley or Brandon Rios.
Algieri's camp said the young boxer is studying the Pacquiao offer, although chances are he would agree because it would up his ante and purse. In his January fight, Algieri, 30, made $15,000, which jumped to $100,000 when he beat Provodnikov. A Pacquiao bout would boost his guaranteed purse to more than $1 million, although the Filipino champ would surely pocket the lion's share of the fight's earnings.
In defense of his choice of Algieri, Arum told ESPN, "I like with story line with Algieri. Besides being a good fighter he's a college graduate, a kid who wants to go to medical school to become a doctor in the future, He's articulate, good looking and we'll get a lot of backing in the promotion from the New York media because he's from New York."
He is also a former kickboxer and a master's degree holder, but ESPN pointed out that the young boxer has very limited TV exposure which could affect pay-per-view revenues in the Macau fight. In the April bout of Pacquiao in Macau against Rios, the PPV buys were less than 500,000.
Joe DeGuardia, Star Boxing promoter who handles Algieri's career, said to ESPN, "When you fight somebody like Manny Pacquiao you're a different player in the sport. Monetarily, it's always important to get what you can get, so while the offer isn't exactly what we wanted the flipside is that there are so many collateral benefits at it from a marketing standpoint in the United States."
But for Gillon, he would rather watch the Mayweather rematch with Maidana "than watch this farse that is Pacquiao/Algieri."
Although Mayweather won in his May 3 bout versus the Argentinean boxer, it wasn't an easy victory since he suffered a cut on his right eye and it wasn't a unanimous decision, which was a factor that Money May reconsidered in agreeing to give Maidana the rematch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6