Boxing News 2014: Web Site Criticises Pacquiao’s Selection of Algieri as Nov 22 Opponent, Calls Filipino Champ ‘Cherry Picker’
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 11, 2014 8:32 AM EST
Boxing News 24 disagrees with Manny Pacquiao's choice of junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri as his opponent for the scheduled Nov 22 bout in Macau, China.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
Cameron Gillon wrote, "This to me is the worst possible fight for Pacquiao and his fans, for years Pacquiao's fans have unloaded bombs on Mayweather fans in how Floyd cherry picks his opponents to keep his O and unbeaten record in toe, and how he ducks all top fighters that call him out."
He pointed out that before Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum announced on Wednesday that they have made a formal offer to Algieri, heavy names were floated by the Pacquiao promoter. These include Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez.
Gillon pointed out that other than beating Ruslan Provodnikov, Algiere has no other significant fights on his record of 20 bouts. "This is a big big mismatch much like Floyd Mayweather's fights these days," he wrote. Gillon added that he wouldn't be surprised if Pacquiao would end his boxing career by having another rematch with Timothy Bradley or Brandon Rios.
Algieri's camp said the young boxer is studying the Pacquiao offer, although chances are he would agree because it would up his ante and purse. In his January fight, Algieri, 30, made $15,000, which jumped to $100,000 when he beat Provodnikov. A Pacquiao bout would boost his guaranteed purse to more than $1 million, although the Filipino champ would surely pocket the lion's share of the fight's earnings.
In defense of his choice of Algieri, Arum told ESPN, "I like with story line with Algieri. Besides being a good fighter he's a college graduate, a kid who wants to go to medical school to become a doctor in the future, He's articulate, good looking and we'll get a lot of backing in the promotion from the New York media because he's from New York."
He is also a former kickboxer and a master's degree holder, but ESPN pointed out that the young boxer has very limited TV exposure which could affect pay-per-view revenues in the Macau fight. In the April bout of Pacquiao in Macau against Rios, the PPV buys were less than 500,000.
Joe DeGuardia, Star Boxing promoter who handles Algieri's career, said to ESPN, "When you fight somebody like Manny Pacquiao you're a different player in the sport. Monetarily, it's always important to get what you can get, so while the offer isn't exactly what we wanted the flipside is that there are so many collateral benefits at it from a marketing standpoint in the United States."
But for Gillon, he would rather watch the Mayweather rematch with Maidana "than watch this farse that is Pacquiao/Algieri."
Although Mayweather won in his May 3 bout versus the Argentinean boxer, it wasn't an easy victory since he suffered a cut on his right eye and it wasn't a unanimous decision, which was a factor that Money May reconsidered in agreeing to give Maidana the rematch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage