Gregg Popovich Wants More Championships, Extends Contract with San Antonio Spurs
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 11, 2014 3:12 AM EST
Barely a month removed from his fifth NBA title, Gregg Popovich wants more after agreeing to extend his contract with the San Antonio Spurs for multiple years.
The move is not unexpected after the Spurs notched the 2014 NBA championship in a convincing fashion against the Miami Heat.
San Antonio Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich (L) talks to Kawhi Leonard during the first quarter in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series against the Miami Heat in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
The extension was announced on Thursday but the terms of the deal were not disclosed. Popovich’s previous deal paid him $6 million to coach the squad and have general manager powers as well.
San Antonio is known to be prudent with their spending. Recently they re-signed veteran leader Tim Duncan and forward Boris Diaw to just $10 million and $7.5M, respectively to stay with the squad. Tony Parker is the highest paid player in the roster due $12.5M in 2014-2015 and key players like Manu Ginobili ($7M), Tiago Splitter ($9.25M) and Patty Mills ($3M) all have friendly contracts.
Popovich will be returning with the squad hoping to give the franchise its first back-to-back titles and sixth overall. The Spurs won the titles under Pop in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014.
The 65-year-old veteran mentor is entering his 18th straight season as San Antonio’s coach with a career 967-443 (68.6%) regular season and 149-90 (62.3%) playoffs win-loss records.
Popovich was named the NBA Coach of the Year three times; the first in 2003, then in 2012 and last season 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report