Gregg Popovich Wants More Championships, Extends Contract with San Antonio Spurs
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 11, 2014 3:12 AM EST
Barely a month removed from his fifth NBA title, Gregg Popovich wants more after agreeing to extend his contract with the San Antonio Spurs for multiple years.
The move is not unexpected after the Spurs notched the 2014 NBA championship in a convincing fashion against the Miami Heat.
San Antonio Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich (L) talks to Kawhi Leonard during the first quarter in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series against the Miami Heat in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
The extension was announced on Thursday but the terms of the deal were not disclosed. Popovich’s previous deal paid him $6 million to coach the squad and have general manager powers as well.
San Antonio is known to be prudent with their spending. Recently they re-signed veteran leader Tim Duncan and forward Boris Diaw to just $10 million and $7.5M, respectively to stay with the squad. Tony Parker is the highest paid player in the roster due $12.5M in 2014-2015 and key players like Manu Ginobili ($7M), Tiago Splitter ($9.25M) and Patty Mills ($3M) all have friendly contracts.
Popovich will be returning with the squad hoping to give the franchise its first back-to-back titles and sixth overall. The Spurs won the titles under Pop in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014.
The 65-year-old veteran mentor is entering his 18th straight season as San Antonio’s coach with a career 967-443 (68.6%) regular season and 149-90 (62.3%) playoffs win-loss records.
Popovich was named the NBA Coach of the Year three times; the first in 2003, then in 2012 and last season 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On