Premier League Transfer News: Aston Villa Boss Believes Former Chelsea Playmaker Still has It
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 10, 2014 11:50 PM EST
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is optimistic that recent summer signing Joe Cole can still play at a high level.
The 32-year-old playmaker, who spent seven seasons with Chelsea before playing with three different clubs since 2010, had a very promising career when he made a switch to west London in 2003.
However, he failed to sustain a top-level form as his stint was marred by numerous injuries.
"As soon as you start to lose the fire from your stomach as a footballer, there's no point," Lambert told the Birmingham Mail.
"He still wants to do really well and he's still hungry to do really well."
"That's a sign of a top, top player."
"If you have still got the attributes at that age that you had when you were 16 or 17 starting out, you will not go far wrong."
Lambert believes that Cole's experience might play a vital part in his squad's run next season in the Premier League, while hoping that his gamble on the veteran will pay off.
"He can make things happen. If he can perform the way I know he can then we have got a really good player on our hands,"he added.
"He has won things at the highest level, played in masses of big games, massive England games and knows what it's like to win things."
— Aston Villa FC (@AVFCOfficial) July 7, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes