Premier League Transfer News: Aston Villa Boss Believes Former Chelsea Playmaker Still has It
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 10, 2014 11:50 PM EST
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is optimistic that recent summer signing Joe Cole can still play at a high level.
The 32-year-old playmaker, who spent seven seasons with Chelsea before playing with three different clubs since 2010, had a very promising career when he made a switch to west London in 2003.
However, he failed to sustain a top-level form as his stint was marred by numerous injuries.
"As soon as you start to lose the fire from your stomach as a footballer, there's no point," Lambert told the Birmingham Mail.
"He still wants to do really well and he's still hungry to do really well."
"That's a sign of a top, top player."
"If you have still got the attributes at that age that you had when you were 16 or 17 starting out, you will not go far wrong."
Lambert believes that Cole's experience might play a vital part in his squad's run next season in the Premier League, while hoping that his gamble on the veteran will pay off.
"He can make things happen. If he can perform the way I know he can then we have got a really good player on our hands,"he added.
"He has won things at the highest level, played in masses of big games, massive England games and knows what it's like to win things."
— Aston Villa FC (@AVFCOfficial) July 7, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU