Manny Pacquiao Heads into Big Year; Eyes 9th Division Title vs. Miguel Cotto, Canelo Alvarez
By Lou Imperial | July 10, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Eight-division world champion king Manny Pacquiao is going to have a dominant year of boxing ahead of him, as the Filipino boxing icon attempt to reclaim his old throne as the best fighter in the sports.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
Pacquiao is coming off a 12-round unanimous decision win over Timothy Bradley Jr. to get back the WBO Welterweight crown he conceded to the American more than two years ago.
Now in his first defense of his title reign, Pacquiao is considering a list of young and veteran fighters who can test his mettle at an advanced age of 35-years old. The list includes old foe such as Juan Manuel Marquez, Chris Algieri, Terrence Crawford, Robert Guerrero, Miguel Cotto and even light middleweight contender Saul Canelo Alvarez.
Dominant Pac-Man Ahead
Boxing 24 writer Francisco Gurrola believed Pacquiao is heading into another period where he's going to be really hard to defeat.
Top-Rank promotions has been grooming several young fighters for Pacquiao such as Crawford and Mikey Garcia, while veterans like Cotto and Marquez will always be in the mix.
However, Gurrola stressed that Pacquiao will dominate the competition later this year and in 2015 - the year where showdowns with several elite fighters are expected to take place.
"Now, Pacquiao, there has been talk of a Pacquiao vs. Juan Manul Marquez, Pacquiao vs. Terence Crawford, Pacquiao vs. Amir Khan, and Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto. Not so sure what will be the opponent here for him, but I am positive that whoever Pacquiao fights he will come out victorious," Gurrola stated.
What's Next For Pacquiao?
There are reports that Top-Rank has already offered a seven-figure deal to Algieri and his camp to fight Pacquiao in November at Venetian Macao in Macau, China.
Algieri recently won the WBO jr. welterweight title after edging Ruslan Provodnikov via split decision in their championship match last June. The 30-year old veteran expressed his desire to step up in the ring against Pacquiao, but many boxing analysts warned that this fight won't get much PPV buys because Algieri isn't a household name in the sport.
Whether or not he takes on Algieri, Pacquiao's 2015 should look brighter with a showdown against Floyd Mayweather looming. The Grand Rapids native has been teasing about a big surprise in May 2015, igniting debates among boxing fans about the realization of the long due rumble between him and Pacquiao.
If Mayweather continues to stay away, Pacquiao could take on the winner of Cotto vs. Canelo showdown for the WBC middleweight championship or accept a slugfest with Danny Garcia at light welterweight.
For more Manny Pacquiao and Boxing news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin on Kobe Bryant’s Text: He’s 100 Percent Accurate
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Eugenie Bouchard To Conquer Next Era After Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide