Roger Federer Criticized Hard By Tennis Coach For Blowing Last Shot at Grand Slam
By Lou Imperial | July 10, 2014 8:50 PM EST
Roger Federer lost a big opportunity to add another Grand Slam to his trophy case after bowing out to Novak Djokovic in a five-set thriller 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 in the Wimbledon Open finals last Sunday.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after breaking serve against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during his men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
Federer, who was hoping to win his eight Wimbledon Open crown, engaged in a toe-to-toe match with Djokovic through four hours of high-quality tennis.
However, miscues and fatigue caught the best of him in the final set, as Novak pumped fisted his way to his second Wimbledon Open victory and seventh Grand Slam crown.
Despite the setback, the 17-time majors winner is optimistic about his chances in future tournaments, as he tries once again to add another Grand Slam title.
"I feel like if I'm playing well I feel like I can control the field to a degree," Federer said in the post-match interview via Herald Sun. "Clearly there's never a guarantee."
"But I do believe the top guys are the ones we know and who are still going to be deciding outcomes of the bigger tournaments, like the Masters 1000s and the grand slams and the World Tour Finals."
Disappointing Year for Maestro?
Renowned tennis coach Nick Bollettieri admitted he felt bad to see Federer losing what he thinks his one last shot at Grand Slam. The renowned coach added the Swiss could have wrapped up his match with Djokovic, but he could not hold his nerves in big moments during the match.
Bollettieri said the finals showdown between Djokovic and Federer wasn't the best of all-time, but it did provide some drama and excitement fans are looking for from top-notch players.
"The crowd wanted Federer but a man who has won so much just could not hold his nerve - having fought tooth and nail to get back into the contest - when the trophy was there for him to claim for an eighth time. And you know what? I'm not sure such a good chance to win a Grand Slam will come his way again," Bollettieri told Tennis Tonic.
Moreover, he believed Federer is having a really disappointing year of tennis after failing to win a Grand Slam crown in three major tourneys.
"It was a hugely disappointing end to a tournament in what has been a disappointing year so far for Federer. He was ever so close out there to another Wimbledon crown and this is the surface which he is better suited to. That was a big miss for Roger."
Federer is expected to begin hardcourt season in the United States late July. He will likely suit up for the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati Masters before heading to Queens, New York for the US Open championships.
For more Roger Federer and Tennis news update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU