Brazilian Mixed Martial Artist Marcos Souza Breaks Leg Like Anderson Silva’s Injury in UFC 168
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 10, 2014 4:27 PM EST
A Brazilian mixed martial artist had the same fate as Anderson Silva after breaking his leg during a fight.
Brazilian fighter Marcos Souza was engaged in a light heavyweight bout against Cristian Goetz at Favela Kombat 10 event over the weekend held at Sao Goncalo, Brazil, MMA Fighting reported. Like what happened with Silva during the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 168 bout with Chris Weidman, Souza checked a kick and the result was horrifying. Souza's right leg broke from the kick. Souza fell on to the floor and the bout was immediately stopped.
Watch the graphic video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Esporte Interativo
As seen on the video, Souza's leg horribly twisted. According to reports, Souza broke his right tibia and underwent surgery on July 7.
Souza has only fought twice prior his match with Goetz, as seen on his profile on Sherdog. Souza fought twice in 2012 against Raul Bazan and Rodrigo Luiz Baido. He lost in both matches.
Goetz, on the other hand, has only fought once. He wrestled Alexandre Dipi at the AC Arena Combat 7 in November 2012 and won the fight. He now has a record of two wins after he was awarded the victory in his recent match. Souza's injury was counted as a technical knockout.
A UFC report stated that the recoveries for injuries like that of Silva and Souza is ideally three to six months, but it may still be different in some cases. For Silva, it took well over six months before he started training. In June, Silva posted a video of him doing some sparring sessions and training with his boxing coach Edelson at Team Noguiera in Brazil. Silva reportedly targets a return in the octagon ring by 2015. Silva is one of the most successful Brazilian mixed martial artists in the history of UFC. He had a 16-0 record in the UFC prior to losing to Weidman in 2013.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change