Brazilian Mixed Martial Artist Marcos Souza Breaks Leg Like Anderson Silva’s Injury in UFC 168
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 10, 2014 4:27 PM EST
A Brazilian mixed martial artist had the same fate as Anderson Silva after breaking his leg during a fight.
Brazilian fighter Marcos Souza was engaged in a light heavyweight bout against Cristian Goetz at Favela Kombat 10 event over the weekend held at Sao Goncalo, Brazil, MMA Fighting reported. Like what happened with Silva during the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 168 bout with Chris Weidman, Souza checked a kick and the result was horrifying. Souza's right leg broke from the kick. Souza fell on to the floor and the bout was immediately stopped.
Watch the graphic video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Esporte Interativo
As seen on the video, Souza's leg horribly twisted. According to reports, Souza broke his right tibia and underwent surgery on July 7.
Souza has only fought twice prior his match with Goetz, as seen on his profile on Sherdog. Souza fought twice in 2012 against Raul Bazan and Rodrigo Luiz Baido. He lost in both matches.
Goetz, on the other hand, has only fought once. He wrestled Alexandre Dipi at the AC Arena Combat 7 in November 2012 and won the fight. He now has a record of two wins after he was awarded the victory in his recent match. Souza's injury was counted as a technical knockout.
A UFC report stated that the recoveries for injuries like that of Silva and Souza is ideally three to six months, but it may still be different in some cases. For Silva, it took well over six months before he started training. In June, Silva posted a video of him doing some sparring sessions and training with his boxing coach Edelson at Team Noguiera in Brazil. Silva reportedly targets a return in the octagon ring by 2015. Silva is one of the most successful Brazilian mixed martial artists in the history of UFC. He had a 16-0 record in the UFC prior to losing to Weidman in 2013.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date