Brazilian Mixed Martial Artist Marcos Souza Breaks Leg Like Anderson Silva’s Injury in UFC 168
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 10, 2014 4:27 PM EST
A Brazilian mixed martial artist had the same fate as Anderson Silva after breaking his leg during a fight.
Brazilian fighter Marcos Souza was engaged in a light heavyweight bout against Cristian Goetz at Favela Kombat 10 event over the weekend held at Sao Goncalo, Brazil, MMA Fighting reported. Like what happened with Silva during the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 168 bout with Chris Weidman, Souza checked a kick and the result was horrifying. Souza's right leg broke from the kick. Souza fell on to the floor and the bout was immediately stopped.
Watch the graphic video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Esporte Interativo
As seen on the video, Souza's leg horribly twisted. According to reports, Souza broke his right tibia and underwent surgery on July 7.
Souza has only fought twice prior his match with Goetz, as seen on his profile on Sherdog. Souza fought twice in 2012 against Raul Bazan and Rodrigo Luiz Baido. He lost in both matches.
Goetz, on the other hand, has only fought once. He wrestled Alexandre Dipi at the AC Arena Combat 7 in November 2012 and won the fight. He now has a record of two wins after he was awarded the victory in his recent match. Souza's injury was counted as a technical knockout.
A UFC report stated that the recoveries for injuries like that of Silva and Souza is ideally three to six months, but it may still be different in some cases. For Silva, it took well over six months before he started training. In June, Silva posted a video of him doing some sparring sessions and training with his boxing coach Edelson at Team Noguiera in Brazil. Silva reportedly targets a return in the octagon ring by 2015. Silva is one of the most successful Brazilian mixed martial artists in the history of UFC. He had a 16-0 record in the UFC prior to losing to Weidman in 2013.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan