NBA News: Dallas Mavericks Sign Chandler Parsons to $46M Offer Sheet; Houston Rockets Have 3 Days to Match
By James Patrick Quizon | July 10, 2014 4:00 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks are trying to pry away Chandler Parsons from Houston Rockets. The Mark Cuban-owned franchise signed the 25-year-old forward to a $46M three-year offer sheet and their Texas rivals have three days to decide if they want to match or not.
NBA: Playoffs-Portland Trail Blazers at Houston Rockets
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports was among the first to break the story via Twitter.
Chandler Parsons is finalizing a three-year, $46 million offer sheet with Dallas, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 9, 2014
In the follow-up article, Wojnarowski reported that the Rockets and Parsons failed to agree on a separate deal that led to Parsons taking the offer from the Mavericks.
The move appears to put the Rockets’ offseason plans in limbo. Daryl Morey, general manager of Houston, was looking forward to retaining Parsons but perhaps not with this expensive deal. As a restricted free agent, Parsons will stay in Houston if Morey decides to match Dallas’ offer which will pay the forward roughly $15M per year.
The timing is perfect for the Mavericks and tough for the Rockets, which are still trying to convince unrestricted free agent Chris Bosh to sign with them. Houston is also exploring the possibility on signing other veteran small forwards like Trevor Ariza, Paul Pierce or Luol Deng if they can’t retain Parsons.
The Rockets drafted Parsons as the 38th overall pick in the 2011 Draft. Considered as a second-round steal he averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists in his third year in the league.
Parsons earned less than $1M a year in his first three years with the Rockets and appears he’s due for a big raise thanks to the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James