NBA News: Dallas Mavericks Sign Chandler Parsons to $46M Offer Sheet; Houston Rockets Have 3 Days to Match
By James Patrick Quizon | July 10, 2014 4:00 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks are trying to pry away Chandler Parsons from Houston Rockets. The Mark Cuban-owned franchise signed the 25-year-old forward to a $46M three-year offer sheet and their Texas rivals have three days to decide if they want to match or not.
NBA: Playoffs-Portland Trail Blazers at Houston Rockets
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports was among the first to break the story via Twitter.
Chandler Parsons is finalizing a three-year, $46 million offer sheet with Dallas, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 9, 2014
In the follow-up article, Wojnarowski reported that the Rockets and Parsons failed to agree on a separate deal that led to Parsons taking the offer from the Mavericks.
The move appears to put the Rockets’ offseason plans in limbo. Daryl Morey, general manager of Houston, was looking forward to retaining Parsons but perhaps not with this expensive deal. As a restricted free agent, Parsons will stay in Houston if Morey decides to match Dallas’ offer which will pay the forward roughly $15M per year.
The timing is perfect for the Mavericks and tough for the Rockets, which are still trying to convince unrestricted free agent Chris Bosh to sign with them. Houston is also exploring the possibility on signing other veteran small forwards like Trevor Ariza, Paul Pierce or Luol Deng if they can’t retain Parsons.
The Rockets drafted Parsons as the 38th overall pick in the 2011 Draft. Considered as a second-round steal he averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists in his third year in the league.
Parsons earned less than $1M a year in his first three years with the Rockets and appears he’s due for a big raise thanks to the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate