Smokers with Mental Disorders Cost UK Government a Bomb!
By Smitha Nambiar | July 10, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Smokers facing mental disorders cost the UK government approximately £2.5 billion a year, according to a research published in Tobacco Control.
The ratio of cigarette smokers with mental health issues was 50 per cent higher, and hence it is extremely important for the government to help them quit smoking. This will help the economy in revving the losses incurred from costs needed for their treatment, premature deaths and loss of productivity. "It is clear that smoking in people with mental disorders in the UK imposes a significant economic burden and therefore that the development and implementation of interventions to stop smoking in this group should be a high priority," wrote the researchers in the article published in Tobacco Control.
Sherlon local dweller who lives as a squatter in an abandoned office building, smokes a cigarette at the balkony in the centre of Sao Paulo
"This economic case augments the ethical and clinical imperative of dealing with smoking more systemically and effectively in this group, and is over and above the health benefits of improved quality and quantity of life," they add.
The study, published online in the Tobacco Control, calculated the cost using the World Health Organisation's economics of tobacco toolkit. The findings were based on the estimate of the avoidable costs of smoking among smokers with mental problem in the United Kingdom between the year 2009 and 2010.
The cost incurred in treating people with mental disorders account for nearly 14 per cent of the total annual National Health Service (NHS) budget, and the cost to treat the smokers with neurotic and psychotic disorders came up to £719 million in 2009-10 (£320 per person). It is much higher than the amount required for general public. The researchers also found that loss of productivity (absence from work) due to smoking-related illnesses came up to an estimated £823 million and £797 million due to premature death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier