Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer Get Snubbed in Novak Djokovic’s Wedding
By Lou Imperial | July 10, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Reigning French Open champion Rafael Nadal may not be invited in the upcoming wedding between world's no.1 Novak Djokovic and his longtime girlfriend Jelena Ristic this week.
Djokovic, who is coming off a hard-earned five-set victory over Roger Federer 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 to win his second Wimbledon Open champion, is expected to marry Ristic in Serbia this week, with several ATP and WTA personalities attending the event.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
According to Yahoo Sports, Djokovic and Ristic originally planned to stage their wedding a week before the Wimbledon Open at the Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro, on the Adriatic coast. However, Novak decided to put the event on hold to have more focus preparing for the Wimbledon Open championships.
"Original reports had the right location at the Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro, on the Adriatic coast, but the date (a week before the start of Wimbledon) wrong. This report from the Daily Mail claims that was the correct date, but that Djokovic changed his mind at the last minute to "focus on Wimbledon," via Yahoo Sports.
Djokovic's decision boded well for him, as he mustered an incredible run that ended with a victory against eight-time Grand Slam champion. The joker captured his second crown at All-England tennis club and seventh Grand Slam champion of his career. It also ended a majors championship drought after waiting for more than a year.
World's no.1 Wedding
Djokovic, who reclaimed the top spot of the ATP world ranking with the victory over Federer in the finals, has reportedly released the invitations for his upcoming wedding.
Topping the list of his guest is former Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, who is said to be Novak's best man. Also expected to grace the party is childhood friends Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.
Maria Sharapova will also make her presence in the event, and she will more likely be escorted by her boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov - the man who upset Murray in the quarterfinal.
As for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, these two players may not be around during Djokovic's wedding as the two will likely spend the week training for the upcoming hardcourt season.
The 32-year Federer will have another reason to snub Djokovic's big day as he looks to relish the moment with his new pair of twin boys. Nadal, meanwhile, will begin his intense training in Mallorca while his relationship with Djokovic hasn't been that good as of late.
For more Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and tennis news update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies