Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer Get Snubbed in Novak Djokovic’s Wedding
By Lou Imperial | July 10, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Reigning French Open champion Rafael Nadal may not be invited in the upcoming wedding between world's no.1 Novak Djokovic and his longtime girlfriend Jelena Ristic this week.
Djokovic, who is coming off a hard-earned five-set victory over Roger Federer 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 to win his second Wimbledon Open champion, is expected to marry Ristic in Serbia this week, with several ATP and WTA personalities attending the event.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
According to Yahoo Sports, Djokovic and Ristic originally planned to stage their wedding a week before the Wimbledon Open at the Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro, on the Adriatic coast. However, Novak decided to put the event on hold to have more focus preparing for the Wimbledon Open championships.
"Original reports had the right location at the Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro, on the Adriatic coast, but the date (a week before the start of Wimbledon) wrong. This report from the Daily Mail claims that was the correct date, but that Djokovic changed his mind at the last minute to "focus on Wimbledon," via Yahoo Sports.
Djokovic's decision boded well for him, as he mustered an incredible run that ended with a victory against eight-time Grand Slam champion. The joker captured his second crown at All-England tennis club and seventh Grand Slam champion of his career. It also ended a majors championship drought after waiting for more than a year.
World's no.1 Wedding
Djokovic, who reclaimed the top spot of the ATP world ranking with the victory over Federer in the finals, has reportedly released the invitations for his upcoming wedding.
Topping the list of his guest is former Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, who is said to be Novak's best man. Also expected to grace the party is childhood friends Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.
Maria Sharapova will also make her presence in the event, and she will more likely be escorted by her boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov - the man who upset Murray in the quarterfinal.
As for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, these two players may not be around during Djokovic's wedding as the two will likely spend the week training for the upcoming hardcourt season.
The 32-year Federer will have another reason to snub Djokovic's big day as he looks to relish the moment with his new pair of twin boys. Nadal, meanwhile, will begin his intense training in Mallorca while his relationship with Djokovic hasn't been that good as of late.
For more Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and tennis news update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity