Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Talking Apes, Matt Reeves Reveals Original Story
By Tanya Diente | July 10, 2014 2:25 PM EST
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has been on a rampant movie promotion with the release of its numerous movie trailers. From what can be deemed from these trailers, the main story revolves around the apes' existence on human soil, especially on their leader Caesar. However, this wasn't supposed to be the central focus of the story. Evidently, the original story was altered to capture viewers' attention into focusing on the apes.
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
In an interview with Screenrant, movie director Matt Reeves revealed that the original story of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" was initially not about Caesar and the other apes. Instead, Twentieth Century Fox meant for the story to center on the human characters involved in Caesar's story.
"When I came in to meet with the studio, when they approached me about doing the film, they pitched me the story that they had... and it didn't center on Caesar," Reeves said.
The story was also different in the sense of the apes' ability to communicate. Although the story begins in a post-apocalyptic city, similar to what viewers have so far seen from the trailers, the apes in the original story of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," could already speak.
"The apes were actually very articulate, they already could speak very, very easily, "Reeves said.
Contrary to what was previously reported by IBTimes, the apes could only do sign languages as their method of communication, which are clearly translated in the movie via subtitles.
Matt Reeves claimed it was at that point that he thought the movie was not meant for him. However in the end, Reeves took the director's chair using his own storyline for the movie.
If not for Reeves, Caesar wouldn't have been the star of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." The director suggested that if it was him, he'd focus with Caesar and build his story.
"If I were going to do this movie I'd want it to be Caesar's movie through and through," he said.
Reeves said since "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" built its story from the view of the apes, centered on Caesar, then "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" should continue that view with Caesar leading the story.
So, it is with Reeve's suggestion that the first 20 minutes or so of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" begins with the apes taking center stage.
As what was revealed by IBTimes, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" doesn't start off showing how the humans are thriving a decade after the simian virus in "Rise" has wiped out most of the human inhabitants. Instead, it begins by grabbing the viewers' atention on how the apes have made a home for themselves from whatever was left on earth.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" stars Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke, Keri Russell and Andy Serkis (Caesar). The movie will open in US cinemas on July 11, 2014.
Source:YouTube/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga