Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Talking Apes, Matt Reeves Reveals Original Story
By Tanya Diente | July 10, 2014 2:25 PM EST
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has been on a rampant movie promotion with the release of its numerous movie trailers. From what can be deemed from these trailers, the main story revolves around the apes' existence on human soil, especially on their leader Caesar. However, this wasn't supposed to be the central focus of the story. Evidently, the original story was altered to capture viewers' attention into focusing on the apes.
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
In an interview with Screenrant, movie director Matt Reeves revealed that the original story of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" was initially not about Caesar and the other apes. Instead, Twentieth Century Fox meant for the story to center on the human characters involved in Caesar's story.
"When I came in to meet with the studio, when they approached me about doing the film, they pitched me the story that they had... and it didn't center on Caesar," Reeves said.
The story was also different in the sense of the apes' ability to communicate. Although the story begins in a post-apocalyptic city, similar to what viewers have so far seen from the trailers, the apes in the original story of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," could already speak.
"The apes were actually very articulate, they already could speak very, very easily, "Reeves said.
Contrary to what was previously reported by IBTimes, the apes could only do sign languages as their method of communication, which are clearly translated in the movie via subtitles.
Matt Reeves claimed it was at that point that he thought the movie was not meant for him. However in the end, Reeves took the director's chair using his own storyline for the movie.
If not for Reeves, Caesar wouldn't have been the star of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." The director suggested that if it was him, he'd focus with Caesar and build his story.
"If I were going to do this movie I'd want it to be Caesar's movie through and through," he said.
Reeves said since "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" built its story from the view of the apes, centered on Caesar, then "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" should continue that view with Caesar leading the story.
So, it is with Reeve's suggestion that the first 20 minutes or so of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" begins with the apes taking center stage.
As what was revealed by IBTimes, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" doesn't start off showing how the humans are thriving a decade after the simian virus in "Rise" has wiped out most of the human inhabitants. Instead, it begins by grabbing the viewers' atention on how the apes have made a home for themselves from whatever was left on earth.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" stars Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke, Keri Russell and Andy Serkis (Caesar). The movie will open in US cinemas on July 11, 2014.
Source:YouTube/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery