A breathtakingly Beautiful Full Moon Night Might Reduce Your Sleep by 20 Minutes
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 10, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Science never fails to surprise us. Through an interesting recent work, researchers have shown that people usually sleep 20 minutes less if it’s a full moon night.
"Participants slept an average of 20 minutes less and had more trouble falling asleep during the full moon phase. However, the greatest impact on REM sleep (during which most dreaming is believed to occur) appeared to be during the new moon," said Michael Smith from the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg in Sweden.
The full "Super Moon", scientifically known as a "perigee moon", rises under palm trees as an airplane lands at Los Angeles International Airport in Inglewood, California May 5, 2012.
This study, involving 47 healthy adults aged 18 to 30, supports a pre-existing theory which states there is a correlation between sleep and the lunar cycle. In the presence of fa ull moon, the brain is more susceptible to external disturbances, Smith was quoted saying.
According to the scientists, it is possible to have a built-in biological clock that gets affected by the moon, similar to the one which regulates the very circadian rhythm
The data was further re analyzed and it was found that “sensitivity, measured as reactivity of the cerebral cortex in the brain, is greatest during the full moon.”
Also greater cortical reactivity was observed in case of both women and men during this time. But it was only men who experienced more trouble falling asleep and slept less when the moon was full, reported the paper which was published in the journal Current Biology.
Next time, when you tell a fairytale to your kid; make sure to start at least 20 minutes before than usual if the night sky looks gorgeous with the full moon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Gene That Stops Spreading of Lung Cancer - Identified by Latest Study.
- Teenage Boys Desire Intimacy and Close Relationships: Study
- Young Women Scientists Face Sexual Harassments While Working on Scientific Field: Study Says
- Breakthrough in HIV Medications: Two Australian Men and One In Rockford 'Cured'
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market