A breathtakingly Beautiful Full Moon Night Might Reduce Your Sleep by 20 Minutes
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 10, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Science never fails to surprise us. Through an interesting recent work, researchers have shown that people usually sleep 20 minutes less if it’s a full moon night.
"Participants slept an average of 20 minutes less and had more trouble falling asleep during the full moon phase. However, the greatest impact on REM sleep (during which most dreaming is believed to occur) appeared to be during the new moon," said Michael Smith from the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg in Sweden.
The full "Super Moon", scientifically known as a "perigee moon", rises under palm trees as an airplane lands at Los Angeles International Airport in Inglewood, California May 5, 2012.
This study, involving 47 healthy adults aged 18 to 30, supports a pre-existing theory which states there is a correlation between sleep and the lunar cycle. In the presence of fa ull moon, the brain is more susceptible to external disturbances, Smith was quoted saying.
According to the scientists, it is possible to have a built-in biological clock that gets affected by the moon, similar to the one which regulates the very circadian rhythm
The data was further re analyzed and it was found that “sensitivity, measured as reactivity of the cerebral cortex in the brain, is greatest during the full moon.”
Also greater cortical reactivity was observed in case of both women and men during this time. But it was only men who experienced more trouble falling asleep and slept less when the moon was full, reported the paper which was published in the journal Current Biology.
Next time, when you tell a fairytale to your kid; make sure to start at least 20 minutes before than usual if the night sky looks gorgeous with the full moon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Doctor Denies Saying Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Only Has 6 Months to Live
- Online Porn Easy To Access: Research; Cameron Diaz Is A 'Porn Addict'
- Bride-To-Be Loses 57 Kilograms Before Wedding, Slimming World's Woman of the Year
- Seven Natural Ways to Fight Depression
- HIV Breakthrough: Tampon With An Anti-HIV Drug For Women
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff