Android 4.4.4 KitKat Live for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact to Nine Countries
By Ryan Inoyori | July 10, 2014 1:19 PM EST
The official Android 4.4.4 KitKat is now rolling to Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra. Know the top changes provided by Sony Mobile, territories being served and methods to download the new firmware.
Sony Mobile Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Sony Mobile begins rolling out the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for three Xperia Z smartphones. Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware build version 14.4.A.0.108 is seeding live for Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra handsets.
In addition to the default improvements provided by the final Android KitKat version, Sony Mobile added enhancements on the user experience of the camera app. Here are the details of the official change logs:
1. Android 4.4.4 including the latest enhancements and security updates from Google
2. Updated and improved camera experience
3. Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts, music streaming and Google Plus
4. Latest versions of all native Sony apps
5. All the latest bug fixes, optimisation and improvements
Where Is It Rolling Out?
According to a screenshot from XperiaBlog, Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for Xperia Z1 is seeding to several territories around the world including France, Italy, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.
Users can download and install the firmware using the Update Centre app on Xperia Z1 or via Sony PC Companion or Software Update Service on Windows computers and Sony Bridge for MAC. It is currently serving Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 model which will become available to other variants soon.
Since the firmware build goes the same with Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra, users should begin checking using the following methods mentioned above. Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Android 4.4.4 update started earlier than Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra.
Possible Next Batch
Based on the firmware update roadmap from Sony Mobile, Android 4.4.2 KitKat started on Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra then followed through on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
However, the next batch may rollout first on Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet which are a little late on receiving the Android 4.4.4 KitKat than the other three devices. After that, it is possible that Sony Mobile may push the major firmware update to other Xperia Z members.
Additionally, Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 may receive Android 4.4.4 KitKat if Sony decides after the confirmed Android 4.4.2 firmware update. Older Xperia devices not listed above remains running Android Jelly Bean at this time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- The Release of Xperia Z3 is Nearing Sony Slashes Price of the Xperia Z2 by $200
- The Best Smartphones Yet To Release in 2014
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border