Shutting Down the Bullies: Tips from the Story of Carleigh O’Connell
July 10, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Bullying is a growing problem among teenagers. Victims of bullying may suffer from depression and physical injuries affecting the student's social development.
Sometimes bullying can make a person strong like the story of 14-year-old Carleigh O'Connell who turns "hurtful" graffiti into an empowering message. Although it may be very difficult to address bullying, here are some things that can reduce bullying in school:
Being bullied at the school can leave a greater impact on the child than originally thought, latest research out on Monday, says.
1. Clearly define bullying. The school should have a common definition of bullying.
2. Address behaviors. Teachers and staff should look at the specific behaviors, there may be a reason the child is acting this way. The parents should be involved when the behavior keeps occurring.
3. Assess the extent of the problem. Find out how much and what type of bullying is going to target the prevention.
4. Conduct bullying prevention campaigns. It may be through creative art contests which highlight school values, all-school assemblies and communications campaigns.
5. Be trained to handle bullying situations. Hold one-day training sessions, staff meetings and teaching through modeling preferred behaviors to train all school staff on what bullying is, school's policies and rules and the enforcement of the rules.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’