Shutting Down the Bullies: Tips from the Story of Carleigh O’Connell
July 10, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Bullying is a growing problem among teenagers. Victims of bullying may suffer from depression and physical injuries affecting the student's social development.
Sometimes bullying can make a person strong like the story of 14-year-old Carleigh O'Connell who turns "hurtful" graffiti into an empowering message. Although it may be very difficult to address bullying, here are some things that can reduce bullying in school:
Being bullied at the school can leave a greater impact on the child than originally thought, latest research out on Monday, says.
1. Clearly define bullying. The school should have a common definition of bullying.
2. Address behaviors. Teachers and staff should look at the specific behaviors, there may be a reason the child is acting this way. The parents should be involved when the behavior keeps occurring.
3. Assess the extent of the problem. Find out how much and what type of bullying is going to target the prevention.
4. Conduct bullying prevention campaigns. It may be through creative art contests which highlight school values, all-school assemblies and communications campaigns.
5. Be trained to handle bullying situations. Hold one-day training sessions, staff meetings and teaching through modeling preferred behaviors to train all school staff on what bullying is, school's policies and rules and the enforcement of the rules.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes