Shutting Down the Bullies: Tips from the Story of Carleigh O’Connell
July 10, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Bullying is a growing problem among teenagers. Victims of bullying may suffer from depression and physical injuries affecting the student's social development.
Sometimes bullying can make a person strong like the story of 14-year-old Carleigh O'Connell who turns "hurtful" graffiti into an empowering message. Although it may be very difficult to address bullying, here are some things that can reduce bullying in school:
Being bullied at the school can leave a greater impact on the child than originally thought, latest research out on Monday, says.
1. Clearly define bullying. The school should have a common definition of bullying.
2. Address behaviors. Teachers and staff should look at the specific behaviors, there may be a reason the child is acting this way. The parents should be involved when the behavior keeps occurring.
3. Assess the extent of the problem. Find out how much and what type of bullying is going to target the prevention.
4. Conduct bullying prevention campaigns. It may be through creative art contests which highlight school values, all-school assemblies and communications campaigns.
5. Be trained to handle bullying situations. Hold one-day training sessions, staff meetings and teaching through modeling preferred behaviors to train all school staff on what bullying is, school's policies and rules and the enforcement of the rules.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen