Shutting Down the Bullies: Tips from the Story of Carleigh O’Connell
July 10, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Bullying is a growing problem among teenagers. Victims of bullying may suffer from depression and physical injuries affecting the student's social development.
Sometimes bullying can make a person strong like the story of 14-year-old Carleigh O'Connell who turns "hurtful" graffiti into an empowering message. Although it may be very difficult to address bullying, here are some things that can reduce bullying in school:
Being bullied at the school can leave a greater impact on the child than originally thought, latest research out on Monday, says.
1. Clearly define bullying. The school should have a common definition of bullying.
2. Address behaviors. Teachers and staff should look at the specific behaviors, there may be a reason the child is acting this way. The parents should be involved when the behavior keeps occurring.
3. Assess the extent of the problem. Find out how much and what type of bullying is going to target the prevention.
4. Conduct bullying prevention campaigns. It may be through creative art contests which highlight school values, all-school assemblies and communications campaigns.
5. Be trained to handle bullying situations. Hold one-day training sessions, staff meetings and teaching through modeling preferred behaviors to train all school staff on what bullying is, school's policies and rules and the enforcement of the rules.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy