Gearbox Software on Borderlands 3 and New Battleborn Coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC
By Gel Galang | July 10, 2014 11:41 AM EST
The crazy world of "Borderlands" is probably Gearbox Software's biggest and most successful project to date, but even its upcoming continuation of the franchise, "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" is focused on current-gen consoles rather than moving with the next-gen consoles.
Speculations about the latest game do suggest that "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" can find itself on the PS4 and Xbox One, but fellow developer 2K Australia or Gearbox Software has not yet made this an official fact yet.
However, something has to be said of "Borderlands 3" as Gearbox Software has already stated before that this particular installment will be getting the next-gen approach.
Crazy and delightful as the "Borderlands" franchise already is, it seems that putting it in tandem is something that's terrifying and crazier to explore, at least according to Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford.
Quoting Pitchford, Videogamer reports that the Gearbox president is not sure if the studio can deliver the expected next-gen-level crazy that "Borderlands" fans may be expecting.
"There's a point where it's like, 'What should the next Borderlands be? Should there be another Borderlands, and what should it be?'," said Pitchford in an interview quoted by Videogamer.
"We had that discussion and there was this weird mixed bag. On one level it's like, 'Woah'. If you're going to do something that's called Borderlands 3 and it's going to be done in this next-generation environment, there's a whole bunch of ideas that come around of what has to happen in order for that to live up to what that needs to be."
In an earlier interview with Polygon, Pitchford has confirmed that they are not yet working on "Borderlands 3" as of the moment, since the studio is hard at work with two other IPs.
But even as early as last February, Pitchford already has the idea that "Borderlands should be a lot bigger than any of the "Borderlands" games so far.
"It should be bigger and better than 'Borderlands 2.' It should carry forward the story. It's probably crazy multiplatform, depending on timing. It would have to be a next-gen game and a current-gen game, if it was coming at any time in the reasonably near future," said Pitchford to Kotaku.
The status of "Borderlands 3" does not seem to have changed for the meantime, but at the very least, the other IP that Gearbox Software hinted before has finally been announced with more details.
Introducing 'Battleborn,' Gearbox's Next-gen Shooter Game
Gearbox Software has already announced via its official Web site that the first-person "hero shooter" aptly called "Battleborn" will be the next game coming out from the studio.
The first poster for "Battleborn" shows off the many characters or heroes involved in the game.
"We're calling Battleborn a 'hero shooter' in that it's a first-person shooter focused on characters above all else. No first-person shooter has ever had this much character variety, and we're excited for you to see the first batch of heroes today," said Gearbox Software via the official press release.
What's known about "Battleborn" so far is that players can team up to form a five-player co-op team where you as Battleborns will need to fight the Varelsi who are bent on destroying the last star in the universe. The five-player co-op campaign is just the beginning, and since it's a next-gen game, Gearbox Software has planned out a number of multiplayer games that can have up to 10 players.
"Battleborn" will be coming to the PS4, Xbox One and PC in 2015, but as early as now, you can already expect nine playable heroes, five factions from where they belong to and the trailer below which features some of the character design.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles