New Surface Pro 3 Update Seeks Better Battery and Wi-Fi Performance
By Sovan Mandal | July 10, 2014 11:02 AM EST
Microsoft has released an update for Surface Pro 3 aimed at enhancing tablet's Wi-Fi and battery performance.
An attendee photographs the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3, during the event in New York, May 20, 2014.
Much thought has gone into extracting more juice out of the tablet's battery, with no less than three of the updates aiming to achieve that, CNET said. While one fix wants to reduce power use, another seeks to achieve an enhanced battery life. Similarly, an update for Bluetooth and network wireless controller looks to reduce power consumption in low-power states.
Surface Pro 3 revealed good battery performance lasting about 8 hours based on a review by The Verge. It will be interesting to see by how much the above figure gets extended. A benchmark being referred here can be that of the MacBook Air which lasts about 11+ hours in a single charge for both 11-inch and 13-inch versions, as cited in a PCMag review.
Microsoft said it also expects a resolution of the Wi-Fi connectivity woes that many have been facing with Surface Pro 3 devices. Wi-Fi issues that some Surface pro 3 owners reported range from inability to connect to a Wi-Fi router to slow connection speeds.
Microsoft noted its next update due out on July 16 will look to resolve all Wi-Fi-related issues once and for all, WinBeta reported.
Another firmware fix for the touch cover looks at improving trackpad performance and the timing of the appearance and disappearance of the on-screen keyboard. Among the other areas that Surface Pro 3 will benefit from include increased reliability along with enhanced stability and efficiency in low-power modes.
Microsoft also revealed the update will be released in stages which means not all Surface Pro 3 owners will be getting the update although all the tablets will be eventually getting the update in due course.
It had also launched Surface Pro 3 at an event in May 20 and emerged the best surface iteration so far. It's the most powerful of the surface line up while being the slimming and lightest.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast