Ebola Outbreak: WHO Confirms 50 New Cases, 25 More Deaths in West Africa
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 10, 2014 8:54 AM EST
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently confirmed 50 new cases affected by the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in West Africa.
The Ebola outbreak death toll has also increased with 25 more deaths, according to a UN statement. The outbreak reportedly killed hundreds of people in three countries in West Africa: Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Health workers take blood samples for Ebola virus testing at a screening tent in the local government hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone, June 30, 2014.
In a statement, WHO revealed the latest figures from the three countries, concerning the total number of cases and deaths from the epidemic.
Accumulated data from health ministries in the three countries revealed the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has now affected 844 people with 518 people killed since the epidemic began in February.
"Now, in the region, there is really an awareness that it's not a country problem but it's a regional problem and we have means to control it," WHO Spokesman Fadela Chaib said at a news conference in Geneva.
"If we strengthen the surveillance, if we work better than we did with the local communities to explain what is Ebola because there is still a lot of resistance from the population to cooperate with health workers," she added.
In a previous report, Liberia's Deputy Health Minister Bernice Dahn told Reuters that among the biggest challenges from the Ebola outbreak is the "denial, fear and panic" from people.
Adding to the challenge, Dahn noted there are "strict rules" to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus from contaminated corpses, but the rules are often being ignored by the West Africans.
WHO data noted the Ebola virus disease causes fever, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhea. It has also been cited the Ebola outbreaks have 90 percent fatality rate.
"We need really to work together in different fronts to control it and it's possible to control it," Chaib said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design