Ebola Outbreak: WHO Confirms 50 New Cases, 25 More Deaths in West Africa
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 10, 2014 8:54 AM EST
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently confirmed 50 new cases affected by the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in West Africa.
The Ebola outbreak death toll has also increased with 25 more deaths, according to a UN statement. The outbreak reportedly killed hundreds of people in three countries in West Africa: Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Health workers take blood samples for Ebola virus testing at a screening tent in the local government hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone, June 30, 2014.
In a statement, WHO revealed the latest figures from the three countries, concerning the total number of cases and deaths from the epidemic.
Accumulated data from health ministries in the three countries revealed the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has now affected 844 people with 518 people killed since the epidemic began in February.
"Now, in the region, there is really an awareness that it's not a country problem but it's a regional problem and we have means to control it," WHO Spokesman Fadela Chaib said at a news conference in Geneva.
"If we strengthen the surveillance, if we work better than we did with the local communities to explain what is Ebola because there is still a lot of resistance from the population to cooperate with health workers," she added.
In a previous report, Liberia's Deputy Health Minister Bernice Dahn told Reuters that among the biggest challenges from the Ebola outbreak is the "denial, fear and panic" from people.
Adding to the challenge, Dahn noted there are "strict rules" to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus from contaminated corpses, but the rules are often being ignored by the West Africans.
WHO data noted the Ebola virus disease causes fever, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhea. It has also been cited the Ebola outbreaks have 90 percent fatality rate.
"We need really to work together in different fronts to control it and it's possible to control it," Chaib said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Mi Band vs. Fitbit Flex Fitness Band Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ABC News Reporter Elizabeth Vargas Befallen with Alcoholism Again, Returns to Rehab
- Cancer Cure: Botox May Help in Treatment of Gastric Cancer
- Pamela Anderson Chickens Out Of Ice Bucket Challenge
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals Her Healthy and Organic Lifestyle, Talks About Pregnancy Cravings
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop