Ebola Outbreak: WHO Confirms 50 New Cases, 25 More Deaths in West Africa
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | July 10, 2014 8:54 AM EST
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently confirmed 50 new cases affected by the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in West Africa.
The Ebola outbreak death toll has also increased with 25 more deaths, according to a UN statement. The outbreak reportedly killed hundreds of people in three countries in West Africa: Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Health workers take blood samples for Ebola virus testing at a screening tent in the local government hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone, June 30, 2014.
In a statement, WHO revealed the latest figures from the three countries, concerning the total number of cases and deaths from the epidemic.
Accumulated data from health ministries in the three countries revealed the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has now affected 844 people with 518 people killed since the epidemic began in February.
"Now, in the region, there is really an awareness that it's not a country problem but it's a regional problem and we have means to control it," WHO Spokesman Fadela Chaib said at a news conference in Geneva.
"If we strengthen the surveillance, if we work better than we did with the local communities to explain what is Ebola because there is still a lot of resistance from the population to cooperate with health workers," she added.
In a previous report, Liberia's Deputy Health Minister Bernice Dahn told Reuters that among the biggest challenges from the Ebola outbreak is the "denial, fear and panic" from people.
Adding to the challenge, Dahn noted there are "strict rules" to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus from contaminated corpses, but the rules are often being ignored by the West Africans.
WHO data noted the Ebola virus disease causes fever, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhea. It has also been cited the Ebola outbreaks have 90 percent fatality rate.
"We need really to work together in different fronts to control it and it's possible to control it," Chaib said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions