World Cup 2014: Nelly the Elephant Is the Better FIFA Oracle Than Big Head the Turtle, But the Real Victor is Essex Punter Who Won £2,505 on £5 Bet
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 10, 2014 8:49 AM EST
The heart-breaking loss of host country Brazil on Wednesday to Germany, 7-1, did not only crush the World Cup championship ambition of the crippled soccer team, it also determined which of the two animals deserves the title Oracle of the World Cup 2014.
A big crown would be needed as the victor is Nelly, the Elephant, who correctly predicted Germany's win. Here is the video taken a week ago that shows the pachyderm - which incidentally is housed in Hanover's Serengeti Park in Germany - kicking the football into the goal of Germany to indicate its choice of winner.
The elephant initially kicked the ball about a foot away from the German goal, but it made a follow-up kick to ensure the ball got inside the goal.
Meanwhile, Nelly's rival for the oracle throne once occupied by Paul the Octopus, Big Head the Loggerhead Turtle, picked from its Praia do Forte home on June 10 the Brazilian team as the tournament champion over Croatia. Germany's opponent for the championship is the winner of the match between Argentina and The Netherlands, not Croatia.
However, the real oracle is not an animal but a football fan in Essex who bet £5 on Germany and won £2,505 as he correctly predicted the 7-1 score which was at odd of 500/1, reports the Telegraph.
Also winning a bet is QPR midfielder Joey Barton who collected from Piers Morgan £5,000 which he would donate equally between the Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool and the Official Hillsborough Justice Campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]