World Cup 2014: Nelly the Elephant Is the Better FIFA Oracle Than Big Head the Turtle, But the Real Victor is Essex Punter Who Won £2,505 on £5 Bet
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 10, 2014 8:49 AM EST
The heart-breaking loss of host country Brazil on Wednesday to Germany, 7-1, did not only crush the World Cup championship ambition of the crippled soccer team, it also determined which of the two animals deserves the title Oracle of the World Cup 2014.
A big crown would be needed as the victor is Nelly, the Elephant, who correctly predicted Germany's win. Here is the video taken a week ago that shows the pachyderm - which incidentally is housed in Hanover's Serengeti Park in Germany - kicking the football into the goal of Germany to indicate its choice of winner.
The elephant initially kicked the ball about a foot away from the German goal, but it made a follow-up kick to ensure the ball got inside the goal.
Meanwhile, Nelly's rival for the oracle throne once occupied by Paul the Octopus, Big Head the Loggerhead Turtle, picked from its Praia do Forte home on June 10 the Brazilian team as the tournament champion over Croatia. Germany's opponent for the championship is the winner of the match between Argentina and The Netherlands, not Croatia.
However, the real oracle is not an animal but a football fan in Essex who bet £5 on Germany and won £2,505 as he correctly predicted the 7-1 score which was at odd of 500/1, reports the Telegraph.
Also winning a bet is QPR midfielder Joey Barton who collected from Piers Morgan £5,000 which he would donate equally between the Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool and the Official Hillsborough Justice Campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air