Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Camp Offers Slot to Chris Algieri for Nov 22 Macau Fight
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 10, 2014 8:23 AM EST
New junior welterweight title holder Chris Algieri may have moved up the boxing ladder since he is being eyed as the next opponent of eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao for his Nov 22 fight in Macau, China.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
New York Daily News reports that the promoter of the Filipino boxer, Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, have approached the newly minted boxer to be Pacquiao's next ring opponent, fresh from Algieri's win over Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia.
That would mean the fourth rematch with Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez or the second face-off with American pugilist Miguel Cotto won't take place anymore.
Arum has formally opened the Nov 22 bout to Algieri of Long Island. The offer would surely result in a higher guaranteed purse for the rising boxing star. Joe DeGuardia, the promoter of Algieri, and Arum said an agreement is soon coming from Algieri's camp.
"We have a Pacquiao offer on the table and we are negotiating that actually was we speak," the daily quoted DeGuardia.
If Algieri would say "yes" that would mean the two major fights for 2014 would already have sure opponents since the other anticipated match, that between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sep 13, had been unofficially confirmed by Money May.
Of course, boxing fans are still dreaming of the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout that Money May could be referring to as his surprise in May 2015 for boxing followers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2