Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Camp Offers Slot to Chris Algieri for Nov 22 Macau Fight
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 10, 2014 8:23 AM EST
New junior welterweight title holder Chris Algieri may have moved up the boxing ladder since he is being eyed as the next opponent of eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao for his Nov 22 fight in Macau, China.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
New York Daily News reports that the promoter of the Filipino boxer, Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, have approached the newly minted boxer to be Pacquiao's next ring opponent, fresh from Algieri's win over Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia.
That would mean the fourth rematch with Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez or the second face-off with American pugilist Miguel Cotto won't take place anymore.
Arum has formally opened the Nov 22 bout to Algieri of Long Island. The offer would surely result in a higher guaranteed purse for the rising boxing star. Joe DeGuardia, the promoter of Algieri, and Arum said an agreement is soon coming from Algieri's camp.
"We have a Pacquiao offer on the table and we are negotiating that actually was we speak," the daily quoted DeGuardia.
If Algieri would say "yes" that would mean the two major fights for 2014 would already have sure opponents since the other anticipated match, that between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sep 13, had been unofficially confirmed by Money May.
Of course, boxing fans are still dreaming of the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout that Money May could be referring to as his surprise in May 2015 for boxing followers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop