BlackBerry Could End Up as Hottest Stock of 2014 With 50% Growth for the Year as Samsung Braces Investors for 27% Decline in Profit
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 10, 2014 8:20 AM EST
Is Canadian phonemaker BlackBerry on a rebound? After being dismissed as a has-been company and anticipated to die soon, the Waterloo-based tech firm appears not only for a recovery but even growth.
File Photo of A Canadian flag waves in front of a Blackberry logo at the Blackberry campus in Waterloo, September 23, 2013.
Techcrunch reported on Wednesday that BlackBerry's shareprice is up 50 per cent on the year and is considered one of the best performers in 2014. From a $7.44 opening price in January, the firm's stock price closed on Tuesday at $11.21.
In contrast, acknowledged market leaders such as Apple's shares grew on 20 per cent for the same period, Google by only 5 per cent and Samsung has even issued a warning to investors to be prepared for a profit decline by up to 27 per cent.
BlackBerry CEO John Chen is obviously doing the Toronto company some good as the company changed business strategies and defocused on the mobile and tablet markets and instead shifted to pushing its popular Messenger app as it also released minor updates to its BB10 mobile operating system.
However, despite the brighter outlook, it would still be an uphill climb for BlackBerry as its market share of smartphones continue to shrink to even zero per cent in the U.S. market.
Samsung attributed its expected loss to weak sales which is part of a bigger slump in demand for products of the South Korean giant across Europe and Asia and the flood of cheaper phones in the market. In June, Samsung's share price went down 11%.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change