NBA News: Gordon Hayward Signs Offer Sheet with Charlotte Hornets
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 9, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Michael Jordan trolling the Utah Jazz once again even as a NBA owner.
Jordan’s Charlotte Hornets are trying to steal Gordon Hayward from the Jazz signing the 25-year-old forward to a four-year $63M offer sheet on Wednesday.
NBA: Utah Jazz at Indiana Pacers
Hayward’s previous team, Utah have three days to match the contract if they want to retain him.
Reputable NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the signing on Twitter.
Charlotte has agreed to a 4-year, $63M maximum offer sheet with Utah RFA Gordon Hayward, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 9, 2014
As with the NBA Collective Bargaining Rules (CBA), restricted free agents (RFA) like Hayward are forced to stay with their original team if they match the offer sheet tendered by another squad.
The Jazz are expected to exercise their right of first refusal and retain Hayward. However, there is a possibility that they don’t match if they deem the multi-year contract too much for the small forward.
Entering his fifth year as an NBA pro, Hayward’s stock rose after career-high numbers in the 2013-2014 season.
Utah was one of the worst teams in the league but Hayward was one of the few bright spots for the team averaging 16.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.4 steals in 77 games starting each one.
Jordan, the majority owner and chairman of the Hornets franchise is known as a Jazz-killer during his playing years.
He hit a game-winner over Utah in the 1998 NBA Finals that gave Jordan’s Chicago Bulls its sixth NBA championship. The season before, the same Bulls also defeated the Jazz team in the title game.
Will Utah bow down again to MJ and give away one of their promising stars? Or will they block him this time?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles