NBA News: Gordon Hayward Signs Offer Sheet with Charlotte Hornets
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 9, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Michael Jordan trolling the Utah Jazz once again even as a NBA owner.
Jordan’s Charlotte Hornets are trying to steal Gordon Hayward from the Jazz signing the 25-year-old forward to a four-year $63M offer sheet on Wednesday.
NBA: Utah Jazz at Indiana Pacers
Hayward’s previous team, Utah have three days to match the contract if they want to retain him.
Reputable NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the signing on Twitter.
Charlotte has agreed to a 4-year, $63M maximum offer sheet with Utah RFA Gordon Hayward, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 9, 2014
As with the NBA Collective Bargaining Rules (CBA), restricted free agents (RFA) like Hayward are forced to stay with their original team if they match the offer sheet tendered by another squad.
The Jazz are expected to exercise their right of first refusal and retain Hayward. However, there is a possibility that they don’t match if they deem the multi-year contract too much for the small forward.
Entering his fifth year as an NBA pro, Hayward’s stock rose after career-high numbers in the 2013-2014 season.
Utah was one of the worst teams in the league but Hayward was one of the few bright spots for the team averaging 16.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.4 steals in 77 games starting each one.
Jordan, the majority owner and chairman of the Hornets franchise is known as a Jazz-killer during his playing years.
He hit a game-winner over Utah in the 1998 NBA Finals that gave Jordan’s Chicago Bulls its sixth NBA championship. The season before, the same Bulls also defeated the Jazz team in the title game.
Will Utah bow down again to MJ and give away one of their promising stars? Or will they block him this time?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown