Two Miami Hurricanes Linebackers Charged with Sexual Assault, School Admonishes Players
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 9, 2014 8:51 PM EST
The school quickly distanced itself from a scandal involving its two varsity players.
The University of Miami acted swiftly in removing JaWand Blue and Alexander Figueroa from the Hurricanes Team after they were named in a sexual assault case by a 17-year-old student of the same school. The university did not stop there and also suspended both as students.
The sexual assault and battery charges stemmed from a complaint that the both Miami Hurricanes linebackers got a 17-year-old student drunk and repeatedly raped her afterwards at a residential hall within the campus. As stated in the police report, the said players admitted to buying drinks for the minor and brought the lady back to Figueroa's dorm room and did the malicious act there.
Donna Shalala, the school's university president, immediately condemned the lascivious acts.
''We have zero tolerance for sexual assault and gender-based violence,'' Shalala said per Yahoo! Sports. ''There is no confusion about our responsibility as a university: we will fully and compassionately support the victim of sexual assault.''
Blue and Figueroa are currently being held in the absence of a $10,000 bail. The university authorities also stated that they will be banned from campus once released. This scandal comes as the United Stated Education Department is intensifying efforts to probe a similar nature of sexual scandal involving Florida State and its quarterback James Winston. The investigation last year yielded no criminal charges against Winston leading groups to protest the decision.
The Hurricanes built on the depth of their defensive line this spring but that efforts is supposedly be taking a hit with the departure of Blue and Figueroa.
Figueroa started two games in 2013 and registered 17 tackles. His performance alone would have garnered him a starting spot in this season. While Blue is slated to back up middle linebacker Denzel Perryman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories