Two Miami Hurricanes Linebackers Charged with Sexual Assault, School Admonishes Players
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 9, 2014 8:51 PM EST
The school quickly distanced itself from a scandal involving its two varsity players.
The University of Miami acted swiftly in removing JaWand Blue and Alexander Figueroa from the Hurricanes Team after they were named in a sexual assault case by a 17-year-old student of the same school. The university did not stop there and also suspended both as students.
The sexual assault and battery charges stemmed from a complaint that the both Miami Hurricanes linebackers got a 17-year-old student drunk and repeatedly raped her afterwards at a residential hall within the campus. As stated in the police report, the said players admitted to buying drinks for the minor and brought the lady back to Figueroa's dorm room and did the malicious act there.
Donna Shalala, the school's university president, immediately condemned the lascivious acts.
''We have zero tolerance for sexual assault and gender-based violence,'' Shalala said per Yahoo! Sports. ''There is no confusion about our responsibility as a university: we will fully and compassionately support the victim of sexual assault.''
Blue and Figueroa are currently being held in the absence of a $10,000 bail. The university authorities also stated that they will be banned from campus once released. This scandal comes as the United Stated Education Department is intensifying efforts to probe a similar nature of sexual scandal involving Florida State and its quarterback James Winston. The investigation last year yielded no criminal charges against Winston leading groups to protest the decision.
The Hurricanes built on the depth of their defensive line this spring but that efforts is supposedly be taking a hit with the departure of Blue and Figueroa.
Figueroa started two games in 2013 and registered 17 tackles. His performance alone would have garnered him a starting spot in this season. While Blue is slated to back up middle linebacker Denzel Perryman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales