HTC Nexus 9 Volantis May be Google's Next Big Tablet, Leaked Killer Features with Nexus 8
By Precious Silva | July 9, 2014 7:46 PM EST
Google's Nexus tablets came back on the radar following the company's confirmation that it will not be killing its Nexus program. According to the latest leaks, Google has been preparing the Nexus 8 tablet while the Nexus 9 will be released in coordination with HTC dubbed as Volantis.
Hugo Barra, director of Product Management at Android, holds a new Nexus 7 tablet during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, July 24, 2013.
It has been a year since Google updated its tablet series. Its last release was the second generation Nexus 7 which fell slightly short of the success of the first one but was still received positively. In the tech world, a year short of release is already a long time considering players often launch new products every few months. Fortunately, new leaks suggest that the Nexus 9 Volantis is well on its way while the Nexus 8 was spotted on a shipping site supporting its release.
According to a report by Business Insider, there may also be the chance the HTC Volantis will not be branded under the Nexus line but instead as part of the Android Silver Program. Given that the device is a Nexus device, it appears people can expect a more different design approach. According to the details leaked by @evleaks, the HTC Volantis may be a formidable unit against existing Android slates.
According to the leak, the device will come with 8.9-inch screen including 2560 x 1600 pixels. It will also offer a pixel density at 281ppi. However, Android Police's report counters this saying that the resolution will be at 2048 x 1440. Fan of HTC's designs will be pleased to know that HTC may be planning on including a similar zero-gap aluminum build and finish.
The upcoming Google Nexus 8 was also spotted on Zauba - an Indian cargo tracking site. The site described the two shipments as "Nexus8 prototype tablet" and "Nexus8 prototype tablet similar to Nexus (7)." The price tag for the Nexus 8 tablet is around $267 or 16,000 INR. Consumers should still consider this with a grain of salt because the site previously listed devices not released in the market. The Nexus 8 may or may not hit stores.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft