Everything You Need to Know About Colombian Star James Rodriguez
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 9, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Colombian star James Rodriguez has captured the hearts of millions of fans worldwide after his stellar performance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He endeared himself to people even more through his heartbreaking tears when his team lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals. Prior to the World Cup, not many have heard about the young Colombian star. Just who is James Rodriguez? Here are some fast facts:
James currently plays for AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 and has been with the club since 2013. He previously played for Portuguese club Porto for three seasons. While with Porto, James excelled and won the Portuguese Golden Ball in the Primera Liga for being the best player in the league in 2012.
Before moving to Europe, James started his professional career in his native Colombia i 2006 then was signed by Club Atlético Banfield in Argentina by 2008. He spent three years in Argentina before finally coming to Porto and eventually to Monaco.
After his performance in the World Cup which he exited as the top scorer of the tournament until that point, reports have come out that AS Monaco is preparing for bids to come in for the services of the Colombian.
Colombian National Team
James started his international career in the U-17 squad back in 2007. In his first stint, the team finished second in the South American U-17 Championships. He also played with the national squad in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2007.
Eventually James moved on to be a part of Colombia U-20 selection where he appeared in three tournaments before being called up for the senior team for the first time in 2011.
James has since made 27 appearances for the national team and has scored 11 goals including the 6 goals he made during Colombia's 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign.
James was born on July 12, 1991 Cucuta, Colombia. His full name is James David Rodriguez Rubio following the classic Spanish tradition of two last names with the paternal name first and the maternal family name second.
Rodriguez is married to Daniela Ospina, the sister of his Colombian teammate David Ospina. They tied the knot in 2011 and welcomed their first child, a daughter named Salome in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around