Everything You Need to Know About Colombian Star James Rodriguez
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 9, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Colombian star James Rodriguez has captured the hearts of millions of fans worldwide after his stellar performance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He endeared himself to people even more through his heartbreaking tears when his team lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals. Prior to the World Cup, not many have heard about the young Colombian star. Just who is James Rodriguez? Here are some fast facts:
James currently plays for AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 and has been with the club since 2013. He previously played for Portuguese club Porto for three seasons. While with Porto, James excelled and won the Portuguese Golden Ball in the Primera Liga for being the best player in the league in 2012.
Before moving to Europe, James started his professional career in his native Colombia i 2006 then was signed by Club Atlético Banfield in Argentina by 2008. He spent three years in Argentina before finally coming to Porto and eventually to Monaco.
After his performance in the World Cup which he exited as the top scorer of the tournament until that point, reports have come out that AS Monaco is preparing for bids to come in for the services of the Colombian.
Colombian National Team
James started his international career in the U-17 squad back in 2007. In his first stint, the team finished second in the South American U-17 Championships. He also played with the national squad in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2007.
Eventually James moved on to be a part of Colombia U-20 selection where he appeared in three tournaments before being called up for the senior team for the first time in 2011.
James has since made 27 appearances for the national team and has scored 11 goals including the 6 goals he made during Colombia's 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign.
James was born on July 12, 1991 Cucuta, Colombia. His full name is James David Rodriguez Rubio following the classic Spanish tradition of two last names with the paternal name first and the maternal family name second.
Rodriguez is married to Daniela Ospina, the sister of his Colombian teammate David Ospina. They tied the knot in 2011 and welcomed their first child, a daughter named Salome in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October