Everything You Need to Know About Colombian Star James Rodriguez
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 9, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Colombian star James Rodriguez has captured the hearts of millions of fans worldwide after his stellar performance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He endeared himself to people even more through his heartbreaking tears when his team lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals. Prior to the World Cup, not many have heard about the young Colombian star. Just who is James Rodriguez? Here are some fast facts:
James currently plays for AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 and has been with the club since 2013. He previously played for Portuguese club Porto for three seasons. While with Porto, James excelled and won the Portuguese Golden Ball in the Primera Liga for being the best player in the league in 2012.
Before moving to Europe, James started his professional career in his native Colombia i 2006 then was signed by Club Atlético Banfield in Argentina by 2008. He spent three years in Argentina before finally coming to Porto and eventually to Monaco.
After his performance in the World Cup which he exited as the top scorer of the tournament until that point, reports have come out that AS Monaco is preparing for bids to come in for the services of the Colombian.
Colombian National Team
James started his international career in the U-17 squad back in 2007. In his first stint, the team finished second in the South American U-17 Championships. He also played with the national squad in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2007.
Eventually James moved on to be a part of Colombia U-20 selection where he appeared in three tournaments before being called up for the senior team for the first time in 2011.
James has since made 27 appearances for the national team and has scored 11 goals including the 6 goals he made during Colombia's 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign.
James was born on July 12, 1991 Cucuta, Colombia. His full name is James David Rodriguez Rubio following the classic Spanish tradition of two last names with the paternal name first and the maternal family name second.
Rodriguez is married to Daniela Ospina, the sister of his Colombian teammate David Ospina. They tied the knot in 2011 and welcomed their first child, a daughter named Salome in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install