Australian Football League Player Caught on Video Strangling Opponent During The Game
By Tanya Diente | July 9, 2014 2:56 PM EST
An Australian Football League game took the internet by storm with a video showing one of the players, Brian Lake, strangling his opponent during the game.
The match between North Melbourne Kangaroos and Hawthorn on Friday was filled with male angst as two players, Brian Lake and Drew Petrie, became involved in a squabble that took place on the field.
In the video below, Hawthorn player Brian Lake is seen visibly strangling Kangaroos forward Drew Petrie during the game. Strangulation is obviously not a form of tackle in football but it seemed like that's what Lee did to Petrie.
In defense, Petrie clawed Lake's face as he claimed he nearly loss consciousness during the strangulation.
Herald Sun quoted Petrie's interview on the "Sunday Footy Show" regarding the incident.
"In the beginning, I am certainly getting involved in the scuffle, no denying that," Petrie said.
He claimed he had attempted to get back to the game by putting his hands down to end the scuffle. However, he and Lake were obviously too caught up already to stop.
"'I think I was just going to grab something because he had me, so I wanted to grab him in some part of his body and I grabbed his face," he added.
However, Petrie claimed the scratch was unintentional. At that moment, it seemed the only thing to do to get back at Lake's wrestle-like hold of him.
Despite the strangulation, Petrie claimed he is okay with it, since football after all is a physical game, which a lot of things can happen.
While the video clearly shows Drew Petrie struggling from Brian Lake's hold, Sportal has reported that the Kangaroo forward is being sanctioned for clawing his attacker. The MRP has reportedly reprimanded Petrie with unnecessary contact to Lake's face.
As for Brian Lake, Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge claimed that Lake has admitted to his mistake. Hodge also expressed his disappointment at his teammate, saying he Lake was caught up in the heat of the moment.
"But he's owned up to it and he'll move on," he said.
As punishment for strangling Drew Petrie, Brian Lake has been suspended from four games in the AFL. According to AFL's official site, Lake disputed the charge against him, saying he didn't strangle Petrie since he didn't apply any pressure to his throat. He said he was aiming at his jumper. Nevertheless, the Hawthorn player pleaded guilty to a minor charge of aggressive wrestling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]