First Mum in the World Who Gave Birth to Twins While on Kidney Dialysis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 9, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Defying every odd, a British woman has become the first in the world to give birth to twins while undergoing kidney dialysis.
Doctors warned Sarah Pearce that it would be impossible for her to get pregnant given her physical condition. They feared the intense pressure the treatment had taken its toll on the 29-year-old's body, and it would be extremely difficult for Sarah to become a mother.
A woman hugs her baby at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Sarah was diagnosed with incurable kidney abnormalities, which affects her organs’ ability to filter waste from the blood, when she was just six weeks old.
She had transplantation at 12, but three-and-a-half years later, doctors discovered that her body was rejecting the organ.
"The transplant meant I didn’t have to go on dialysis, but when my blood results came back and showed I was rejecting it I had to start it then," she said.
Ms. Pearce usually needs the treatment three times a week, but during her pregnancy doctors put her on daily dialysis.
She gave birth to her son and daughter, Henley James Alex and Harper Faith Miracle, by emergency Caesarean section on June 1.
The twins were delivered 12 weeks early at Sheffield’s Jessop maternity wing, Henley weighing 2lbs 1oz and Harper just 1lb 14oz.
“A few years ago I was trying to get pregnant, but the doctors said it was impossible, and wouldn't happen because of the damage the dialysis had done to my body. But when I fell pregnant, they couldn't believe it. They thought the longest the babies would survive was 20 weeks. I was shocked at first when I found out I was pregnant, but I’m so happy they are here and well. It’s unbelievable. It’s all I’ve ever wanted, to be a mum, Sarah was quoted saying.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Doctor Denies Saying Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Only Has 6 Months to Live
- Bride-To-Be Loses 57 Kilograms Before Wedding, Slimming World's Woman of the Year
- Women Arrested for Smuggling £1.5 Million Worth of Cocaine in Breast Implants
- Seven Natural Ways to Fight Depression
- HIV Breakthrough: Tampon With An Anti-HIV Drug For Women
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display