First Mum in the World Who Gave Birth to Twins While on Kidney Dialysis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 9, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Defying every odd, a British woman has become the first in the world to give birth to twins while undergoing kidney dialysis.
Doctors warned Sarah Pearce that it would be impossible for her to get pregnant given her physical condition. They feared the intense pressure the treatment had taken its toll on the 29-year-old's body, and it would be extremely difficult for Sarah to become a mother.
A woman hugs her baby at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Sarah was diagnosed with incurable kidney abnormalities, which affects her organs’ ability to filter waste from the blood, when she was just six weeks old.
She had transplantation at 12, but three-and-a-half years later, doctors discovered that her body was rejecting the organ.
"The transplant meant I didn’t have to go on dialysis, but when my blood results came back and showed I was rejecting it I had to start it then," she said.
Ms. Pearce usually needs the treatment three times a week, but during her pregnancy doctors put her on daily dialysis.
She gave birth to her son and daughter, Henley James Alex and Harper Faith Miracle, by emergency Caesarean section on June 1.
The twins were delivered 12 weeks early at Sheffield’s Jessop maternity wing, Henley weighing 2lbs 1oz and Harper just 1lb 14oz.
“A few years ago I was trying to get pregnant, but the doctors said it was impossible, and wouldn't happen because of the damage the dialysis had done to my body. But when I fell pregnant, they couldn't believe it. They thought the longest the babies would survive was 20 weeks. I was shocked at first when I found out I was pregnant, but I’m so happy they are here and well. It’s unbelievable. It’s all I’ve ever wanted, to be a mum, Sarah was quoted saying.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Father's Emotional Drunk Driving Message Goes Viral
- Australian Health Authorities Seized Traditional Indian Medicines Due To Fear of Lead Poisoning
- Bikini Diets dominate people in Britain: Survey
- Breakthrough: HIV Virus-Killing Condom Developed By Australian Researchers
- Mums-To-Be Face Discrimination at Workplace
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide