First Mum in the World Who Gave Birth to Twins While on Kidney Dialysis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 9, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Defying every odd, a British woman has become the first in the world to give birth to twins while undergoing kidney dialysis.
Doctors warned Sarah Pearce that it would be impossible for her to get pregnant given her physical condition. They feared the intense pressure the treatment had taken its toll on the 29-year-old's body, and it would be extremely difficult for Sarah to become a mother.
A woman hugs her baby at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Sarah was diagnosed with incurable kidney abnormalities, which affects her organs’ ability to filter waste from the blood, when she was just six weeks old.
She had transplantation at 12, but three-and-a-half years later, doctors discovered that her body was rejecting the organ.
"The transplant meant I didn’t have to go on dialysis, but when my blood results came back and showed I was rejecting it I had to start it then," she said.
Ms. Pearce usually needs the treatment three times a week, but during her pregnancy doctors put her on daily dialysis.
She gave birth to her son and daughter, Henley James Alex and Harper Faith Miracle, by emergency Caesarean section on June 1.
The twins were delivered 12 weeks early at Sheffield’s Jessop maternity wing, Henley weighing 2lbs 1oz and Harper just 1lb 14oz.
“A few years ago I was trying to get pregnant, but the doctors said it was impossible, and wouldn't happen because of the damage the dialysis had done to my body. But when I fell pregnant, they couldn't believe it. They thought the longest the babies would survive was 20 weeks. I was shocked at first when I found out I was pregnant, but I’m so happy they are here and well. It’s unbelievable. It’s all I’ve ever wanted, to be a mum, Sarah was quoted saying.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Tips On How To Find A Good Pediatrician For Your Kids
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Shares A Recipe For A Prenatal Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan