First Mum in the World Who Gave Birth to Twins While on Kidney Dialysis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 9, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Defying every odd, a British woman has become the first in the world to give birth to twins while undergoing kidney dialysis.
Doctors warned Sarah Pearce that it would be impossible for her to get pregnant given her physical condition. They feared the intense pressure the treatment had taken its toll on the 29-year-old's body, and it would be extremely difficult for Sarah to become a mother.
A woman hugs her baby at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Sarah was diagnosed with incurable kidney abnormalities, which affects her organs’ ability to filter waste from the blood, when she was just six weeks old.
She had transplantation at 12, but three-and-a-half years later, doctors discovered that her body was rejecting the organ.
"The transplant meant I didn’t have to go on dialysis, but when my blood results came back and showed I was rejecting it I had to start it then," she said.
Ms. Pearce usually needs the treatment three times a week, but during her pregnancy doctors put her on daily dialysis.
She gave birth to her son and daughter, Henley James Alex and Harper Faith Miracle, by emergency Caesarean section on June 1.
The twins were delivered 12 weeks early at Sheffield’s Jessop maternity wing, Henley weighing 2lbs 1oz and Harper just 1lb 14oz.
“A few years ago I was trying to get pregnant, but the doctors said it was impossible, and wouldn't happen because of the damage the dialysis had done to my body. But when I fell pregnant, they couldn't believe it. They thought the longest the babies would survive was 20 weeks. I was shocked at first when I found out I was pregnant, but I’m so happy they are here and well. It’s unbelievable. It’s all I’ve ever wanted, to be a mum, Sarah was quoted saying.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar