U.S. Man Chokes to Death in Hot Dog Eating Competition
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 9, 2014 2:53 PM EST
A middle-aged U.S. man died after he had choked on a hot dog during a competition.
The incident took place in South Dakota when 47-year-old Walter Eagle Tail took part in a hot dog eating competition on the Fourth of July eve. According to witnesses, Walter started to choke while eating one of the hot dogs. Even though paramedics rushed to the spot, it was too late for them. Someone had already started doing CPR before the paramedics could arrive. Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler said that it was not possible to get the hot dog out that choked Walter's throat. Everything happened "within minutes," he said.
Contestant Sonya Thomas competes in the annual Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island in the Brooklyn borough of New York July 4, 2014. Hurricane Arthur dampened many Independence Day plans but didn't wash out the annual Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog-Eating Contest in Coney Island, New York, where a slate of men and women professional eaters competed for purses of $20,000.
Walter was taken to hospital where he passed away. Dave Ressler, the executive director of the Custer Chamber of Commerce which organised the contest, said that they were "at a loss of words." There was a pie-eating contest scheduled to be held on the next day. However, the contest was cancelled after Walter's death. "We are mourning for Walter and his family right now," Ressler said.
Walter's friends described him as a kind, caring and fun-loving person. It was simply because of the fun part of the competition that he took part in it, one of his friends said. Walter apparently enjoyed good jokes while he used to help his friends whenever they needed it. Walter, an outgoing person, used to make people smile. "He was just a character," his friend said.
Eating competitions have started becoming a part of the popular culture in recent past. Travel Channel's popular reality show "Man v. Food" portrayed similar competitive eating. The show, which premiered on U.S. television in December 2008, was hosted by Adam Richman. The host used to go to different U.S. cities to compete in eating challenges which often involved massive eating.
Joey Chestnut became a national celebrity in the United States after his successful stints in competitive eating. According to the International Federation of Competitive Eating, he is the number one competitive eater in the world.
Reference: Rapid City Journal
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery