FIFA: 2014 World Cup Online Streaming Hit Record Highs
By James Patrick Quizon | July 9, 2014 2:52 PM EST
Soccer fans are going digital.
An official press release from the FIFA website stated that the 2014 World Cup in Brazil has set new records for online streaming from around the world—a clear sign that this new medium is challenging the more traditional way— television or cable-- of viewing the games.
USA fans react during the 2014 World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Belgium and the U.S. at a viewing party in Redondo Beach, California July 1, 2014.
The report confirmed that “this is the biggest event in terms of video content streaming on record” on the FIFA website.
“More and more football fans want to watch high quality, live coverage of matches on their tablets or mobile phones, as well as on their televisions,” said FIFA TV’s Stefan Wildemann via FIFA.COM.
Aside from online streaming of the matches in Brazil, the World Cup fever has expectedly also taken over various online channels including social media platforms Facebook and Twitter and has been consistently on top of the topics searched in search sites Google and Yahoo for the duration of the tournament.
TV and cable remains a viable option for the biggest sporting event in the world.
One breakthrough for soccer is the rise of interest and ratings in the United States, a predominantly an American Football country.
One of Team USA’s matches—the group stage game versus Portugal—became the most-watched sporting event in US cable TV history outside of the NFL games.
According to the same report “24 million unique users have already watched some 15 million hours of content through FIFA’s multimedia services solutions alone”
The beautiful game is indeed, the world’s game. And from 2014 and beyond, it appears ready to take over the online realm as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier