Daniel Radcliffe ‘Inclined to Say No’ to Reprising ‘Harry Potter’ Role
By Anne Lu | July 9, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Don’t expect “Harry Potter” star Daniel Radcliffe to reprise his role if JK Rowling’s newly released short story becomes a film.
On Tuesday, Rowling released a 1,500-word short story about how Harry and his friends are faring at 34 years old.
File photograph shows British writer JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series of books, posing during the launch of the new online website Pottermore in London June 23, 2011. Britain's best-selling author, "Harry Potter" creator JK Rowling, has donated 1 million pounds ($1.68 million) to the campaign against Scottish independence, saying on Wednesday she believed Scotland was better off staying in the United Kingdom. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett/Files
Written in the voice of the Daily Prophet’s gossip correspondent Rita Skeeter, the piece describes the reunion of “Dumbledore’s Army” at the Quidditch World Cup Final.
“But when word swept the campsite and stadium that a certain gang of infamous wizards (no longer the fresh-faced teenagers they were in their heyday, but nevertheless recognisable) had arrived for the final, excitement was beyond anything yet seen,” the fictional character wrote.
Harry, about to turn 34 years old, is described to have “a couple of threads of silver in the famous Auror’s black hear, but he continues to wear the distinctive round glasses that some might say are better suited to a style-deficient twelve-year-old.”
Fans were surprised at the novella’s publication on Rowling’s Pottermore Web site. The British author previously said that she had no plans to write a follow-up to the already concluded book series.
And for Radcliffe, who played the titular hero in the film adaptation of the books, he also has no plans to reprise his role.
“I’m inclined to say no,” the actor promptly crushed the hopes of Potter fans.
Radcliffe was speaking at a TV critics press tour on Tuesday when he was asked if he would don Harry’s glasses again if the short story makes it on the screen again.
“It’s not even really a hypothetical question now,” he was quoted by the NY Daily News as saying.
“I haven’t read it yet, though I will,” Radcliffe said, adding, “but my understanding is that it’s very short, not worthy of adaptation to film.”
Also, the Harry mentioned in the newly published novella was “about 12 years older than I am now... So it’s something I’d have to worry about for a long time, hopefully.”
Radcliffe is promoting the dark comedy TV series “A Young Doctor’s Notebook,” which also stars Jon Hamm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Spoilers, Based From Books: Jon Snow In Grave Danger, Cersei Demands for Trial By Combat
- Angelina Jolie Wants Author’s Plagiarism Lawsuit Against ‘In the Land of Blood and Honey’ Dismissed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Soon To Release SAMCRO Book, An Official Behind-The-Scenes Collector’s Edition
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch