Registered Nurse Charged With Murder of Aged-Care Patients
By Afza Fathima | July 9, 2014 1:04 PM EST
A registered nurse, 46 years of age, has been charged with the murder of two elderly women at an aged care facility in New South Wales. She will face the court on June 9.
The woman has been charged with two murders and one case of an assault after she allegedly killed the two aged patients with overdose of insulin. She was charged on June 8, in Sydney, after being pulled out from Victoria, for the deaths of Marie Darragh, 82 years old, and Isobella Spencer, 77 years old, in May.
Medicines being distributed by a nurse at Daxing Internet Addiction Treatment Centre in Beijing Feb 22, 2014
A police spokeswomen, on June 8, said, "She's been charged with two counts of murder and one count of common assault."
The nurse's attempt at receiving bail failed and she will be spending the night in custody until her appearance before the Central Local Court in Sydney on June 9.
Marie Darragh and Isobella Spencer were found to be unconscious at the St. Andrews Village Aged Care facility at Ballina, after which they died. There was a very short time between the time that they were found unconscious and the time when they were found dead. This incident took place in May.
It has been claimed by the police that an unnamed woman, 88 years old, was also woken up by the nurse for 'unscheduled medication' during the night time. The police also mentioned that all the three victims had made complaints about the nurse. After the deaths of Marie and Isobella, the nurse was on off after which she resigned and fled to Victoria, said Detective Mick Willing, homicide squad boss.
The Melbourne Magistrates Courts had heard that she was on medication for severe depression and this was her first time in police custody.
CEO of St. Andrews Aged Care, Pip Carter, said, "I want to reassure residents and the community that the safety and care of St Andrews' residents always has been and always will be a priority." She was devastated with the news.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]