Roger Federer Says He Doesn’t Need Another Wimbledon Title; Still Looking Forward for Great Things in His Tennis Career
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 9, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Roger Federer was upset by Serbian athlete Novak Djokovic in the finals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4. While a lot of Federer fans have hoped that the third-ranked Swiss athlete snag an eighth Wimbledon trophy, Djokovic proved to be the better athlete. Even so, Federer reportedly wasn't feeling any antipathy over the recent loss and joked that he doesn't really need another Wimbledon title.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
"I already have seven," said Federer in an interview after the match as reported by the Daily Mail. "It's not like I need another one, but it would have been awfully nice to have it," he added.
"I think that's what the feeling was of the people, and I felt that."
Federer has won the Wimbledon title seven times. He was reigning champion for six consecutive years from 2003 to 2007. He won the title again in 2009 and in 2012.
Federer was thankful that his fans showed support at SW19. "I could really sense that they really wished me well and hoped for me to either get back into the match or hopefully lift another trophy here at Wimbledon."
At 32, people have always doubted whether Federer was good enough to play tennis. Federer didn't have an amazing performance in 2013, having had won only one title in the Gerry Weber Open in Halle. The year 2014 proved to be a better year for the father of four. He had won two titles so far and had reached the finals six times.
After the Wimbledon loss, Federer admitted that he was still looking forward to great things in his professional tennis career. "I feel like I'm playing well like I can control the field to a degree," Federer told The Herald Sun. "Clearly, there's never a guarantee, but I do believe the top guys are the ones we know and who are still going to be deciding outcomes of the bigger tournaments, like the Masters 1000s and the grand slams and the World Tour finals."
In the meantime, Federer will take a break before he starts training again. "I'm looking very much toward a vacation and working out hard again to get myself in shape for the American summer."
According to his Web site, Federer will play next in the Rogers Cup, which will take place in Toronto, Canada from Aug. 4 to Aug. 10.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones