Boxing News 2014: Like Pacquiao, Mayweather Could Be Hit by IRS If He Pushes With New York Licence for Maidana Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 9, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather had previously rejected the growing clamour for a match with Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. One of the reasons he cited was that the eight-division title holder is only using him to raise money for his tax problems with the Philippine government.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
With Money May's plan to secure a New York promoter's licence to be able to hold his rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, Mayweather may find himself also facing the IRS.
The Daily Mail reported that if Mayweather would pick the Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center as the site of his bout with Maidana, he would have to pay a U.S. income tax and another 8.82 per cent state tax deduction from his guaranteed purse, and 4 per cent more New York City tax.
If the purse would be at $50 million, that would mean less $6.5 million for the boxer who loves to flaunt his millions by spending sprees on diamonds, watches , jewellery and cars for his girlfriends.
But if he holds the fight in Nevada, the state and the city of Las Vegas does not collect extra taxes. However, he might be forced to secure the New York licence because he broke ties with Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions which has been fronting for his MGM Grand fights in the gambling capital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch