Boxing News 2014: Like Pacquiao, Mayweather Could Be Hit by IRS If He Pushes With New York Licence for Maidana Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 9, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather had previously rejected the growing clamour for a match with Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. One of the reasons he cited was that the eight-division title holder is only using him to raise money for his tax problems with the Philippine government.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
With Money May's plan to secure a New York promoter's licence to be able to hold his rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, Mayweather may find himself also facing the IRS.
The Daily Mail reported that if Mayweather would pick the Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center as the site of his bout with Maidana, he would have to pay a U.S. income tax and another 8.82 per cent state tax deduction from his guaranteed purse, and 4 per cent more New York City tax.
If the purse would be at $50 million, that would mean less $6.5 million for the boxer who loves to flaunt his millions by spending sprees on diamonds, watches , jewellery and cars for his girlfriends.
But if he holds the fight in Nevada, the state and the city of Las Vegas does not collect extra taxes. However, he might be forced to secure the New York licence because he broke ties with Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions which has been fronting for his MGM Grand fights in the gambling capital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border