Boxing News 2014: Like Pacquiao, Mayweather Could Be Hit by IRS If He Pushes With New York Licence for Maidana Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 9, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather had previously rejected the growing clamour for a match with Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. One of the reasons he cited was that the eight-division title holder is only using him to raise money for his tax problems with the Philippine government.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
With Money May's plan to secure a New York promoter's licence to be able to hold his rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, Mayweather may find himself also facing the IRS.
The Daily Mail reported that if Mayweather would pick the Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center as the site of his bout with Maidana, he would have to pay a U.S. income tax and another 8.82 per cent state tax deduction from his guaranteed purse, and 4 per cent more New York City tax.
If the purse would be at $50 million, that would mean less $6.5 million for the boxer who loves to flaunt his millions by spending sprees on diamonds, watches , jewellery and cars for his girlfriends.
But if he holds the fight in Nevada, the state and the city of Las Vegas does not collect extra taxes. However, he might be forced to secure the New York licence because he broke ties with Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions which has been fronting for his MGM Grand fights in the gambling capital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date